water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmaida17

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is purified water you buy in store ok for water changes?

The only kind of water I would use at the store is the RO water that`s in those machines at Walmart. They are in other stores also. I did use distilled water also for several yrs.

Oh i didn't know they had ro water. I heard distilled water wasn't good bc of the stuff they put in it. I'll have to look for the ro machines

They also have them in front of most Walgreens stores, a lot easier than dealing with Wally-world!

They also have them inside Publix, $1.50/5gallons. We have since bought a RODI unit as we go though about 40g/week between the water changes and top offs. Good luck

What's publix a store? I ve been thinking about buying a RODI system myself. Any suggestions?

Public is a grocery store chain in the southeast.
Bulk Reef Supply has some nice units, and you can get on the group buy that's going to start Tuesday, and it will save you like $20 or so.
If you want in on the group buy, there is a thread in the general/equipment section.

Oh nice, and thanks i'll look into that. I appreciate that. How's the group buy work?

With the group buy, a bunch of people get on the list (Carey is running one this week), you Private. message her your e-mail and last name. This list is sent to BRS, they send you an e-mail stating that you are on it, when the buy starts, that lasts a week. Everything on the site is discounted 5-20%!! You don't have to make a purchase at all, and after that you are what they call a preferred member, and receive a constant small discount.
It's really a no lose situation! I would get on it, even just to browse, to receive the future permanent discount.

Oh nice, ya i'll definitely di that. I've bought a few things off there before and planned on it in the future so I'm in lol.Thanks for the information!!

you could also buy an RO system at amazon . i took a look at some and they have some decent prices and very good quality brands.
:) hope that helps!

I have a 29 gallon tank for now but eventually upgrading to a 125 hopefully. Any recommendations?

If you want to get on on this one, I would suggest Pm'ing her now. She sends in the list early tomorrow morning. If you don't do this one, there is usually one about every 2 weeks, at least once a month, that I'm sure of. Usually the discount at least covers the shipping, more if you order a big ticket item, like an RO/DI.
Good luck with your tank!

Back
Top Bottom