Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2004, 08:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, there are fish and corals also. (I intend to update my profile with my tank details) I just listed the shrimp and snails because it was suggested that I get some. Yes, I have plenty of salt. The nitrates were registering at around 40ppm. We haven't done any large water changes in a while but small water changes are done weekly. I'll get the nitrates back in order. Just wasn't sure how a couple large water changes in a short period of time would affect the tank.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as the temp, ph, and sg are the same it won't effect it much if at all.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is your tank? What are you using for filteration? do you have any live rock? Do you have cc or ls?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
You could also look at alternatives to reduce nitrate. A sufficient volume of LR (1/2 volume of tank or so) will reduce nitrate, often to zero, even when used in conjunction with traditional biofilters like wet/dry's and biowheels.
A refugium with macro algae can also be used although it may be falling out of favor due to the added complexity.
The suggestion to use RO/DI water is a good one. How big is your tank? Got pics?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank is 110 gal. I have about 100 lbs of live rock with a 4" sandbed. As well as the liverock and sand, there is a tetratec pf500 filter that holds the heater. I don't have a sump or refuguim so macro is out of the question. My tang and angel eat everything I put in the tank. As for pics, I have tons but the files are to big to put on here. I'm sure there is a way to make the pics smaller on the digital camera, I just haven't figured it out yet. My PH this morning was 8.0, nitrite is 0.3, ammonia 0 and sg 1.022.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
nitrite is 0.3
This should be zero. Are you sure you don't have something dead in there? Snails are a likely culprit. They die in hard to reach places and then rot, fouling the water. Your set up should keep nitrate low unless there is an overly large bio load.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
and sg 1.022
I would raise that to 1.025, but if you do make sure to do it over 3 to 4 days.

Quote:
there is a tetratec pf500 filter that holds the heater
I have one of these on my 26 bow front, I don't like the heater part, it doesn't seem to keep the water stable in mine anyway.

Also with 100 lbs of lr I would loose the filter pad in the tetra. that's probally where your nitrate is coming from.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lowest reading on the test card says <0.3. Thats where my nitrites are. I use a tetratest laborett test kit. Thanks to everyone, off to do water changes.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I use a tetratest laborett test kit

Now these part of the problem, Tetratest kits are not known to be very accurate. I would have my lfs test it also to confirm the reading.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 05-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Mark in that you need an alternative method to reduce nitrates other than water changes. The problem is, even with large regular water changes, nitrates will continue to climb over the life period of the tank. If you were to graph the nitrate level after each water change over the course of a year or so, it would look kind like the blade on a handsaw turned upside down. Except, instead of staying level and straight, it would climb upward...

Water changes do help slow the process but won't stop it. You need another type of removal strategy.

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com