Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering how often others do water changes on thier reef tanks. I do a 10% change once per week but I am wondering if this change is even needed. The water parameters are kept in check with a variety of equipment.

I do about 15% every three weeks. It really depends on your water parameters however.

If you have enough filtration (there is never enough it seems like), you would really only need to top off and possibly add buffers/additives to replace trace nutrients expired in the water/keep up your pH.

I do the same as Lando.. about 15% every three weeks (about how long it takes nitrates to get above 10ppm).

I think that the life in the tank would benefit from the freshening up of the water whether the tank parameters indicated it needed it or not. Kind of like opening your windows and airing your house thoroughly every once in a while.

I have a Pro Clear Aquatics Wet/Dry Filter with Skimmer, a Ehiem Pro II canister Filter, an Aqua Ultra Violet UV Sterilizor, and a Sea Clone 100 all on this tank. In addition to that I have a HOB refugium so there is plenty of filtration. The main reason I do the weekly changes is for algae control which gets insanely out of hand.

I am thinking of getting a new skimmer, maybe one of the corallife units - anyone tried one of those - or putting in an algae attack thing from foster and smith. any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom