Water changes with fresh water??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agataoneil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have heard that doing water changes with saltwater will eventually lead to really high salinity levels overtime since salt doesnt leave the water... I was told to do water changes with fresh water to dilute the salinity, is this true?

nope not at all true. You top off any evaporated water with fresh unsalted water but water changes are always done with salt water that should match the salinity in the tank. :)

Ro/di water which is reverse osmosis deionized.

You do water changes with saltwater not freshwater. When you do a water change you are removing saltwater and replacing with saltwater. The salt does not stay in during a water change. Only evaporation leaves the salt behind in which case you (top off) with freshwater.

They should be selling ro water, if they only refer to it qs fresh water I would confirm with them that it is ro and not tap water.

^ good point.

You want 0 TDS water. Tap will not come close. My tap runs at about 300 TDS. Your water is critical in salt tanks so best not to use tap.

Anytime you remove saltwater from your tank, replace it with saltwater, anytime you add water due to it getting low from evaporation, use freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom