Water Changes with Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon saltwater tank with a black and white ocellaris clown fish and clean up crew (snails and hermit crabs). I guess one might consider that lightly to moderately stocked. Anywho, I don't have a protein skimmer for a small tank like this. Instead I have 2 HOB filters (Aqueon 20 and Aqua Clear 20) and 2 power heads and about 12 lbs of live rock. I do weekly and sometimes bi-weekly water changes of 20%, and occasionally a nice 40%. My fish looks plenty happy. My main question is this: I'm finished setting up my 55 gallon with 20 gallon sump and it has about 70 or so lbs of live rock, deep sand bed, and refugium with chaeto, live rock, and live sand in sump. Basically my question is will I need to perform a similar weekly/biweekly water changes in my 55 gallon even though I'll be running a 110 Reef Octopus skimmer to it? I don't want to be too lazy with my water changes, but I would like to get away with not having to do it weekly. Thanks

It depends on your nutrient levels in the tank. Most of the time a 10% water change is just fine to replenish minerals and nutrients. Otherwise a larger water change is necessary.

If you have elevated nitrates then do a larger water change.

One of the best things you can do for your tank is keep a journal. It will let you track things like nitrate and how fast they build up in your system This will let you know how often you'll need to do water changes In my system i can change as little as 5 gallons a week on my 180 gal tank but if i let it go for 3 weeks then i need to change as much as 40-50 gallons

One of the best things you can do for your tank is keep a journal. It will let you track things like nitrate and how fast they build up in your system This will let you know how often you'll need to do water changes In my system i can change as little as 5 gallons a week on my 180 gal tank but if i let it go for 3 weeks then i need to change as much as 40-50 gallons

Sounds like a good plan. I'll do that, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom