water chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello guys
this is probably a thick question to you lot, but i will ask anyway.
i have been reading to get a nem you should wait a year or so until the chemistry of the tank has found its own balance, now the thick bit. what does this actual mean.

In the begining the water parameters will bounce around. As your tank gets more stable then they will pretty well stay put. One of the main reasons is in the beginning your nitrifying bacteria is just starting that keeps Ammonia and nitrite in check. Later on as the tank matures you really get a good biological filtration from the massive amount of nitrifying bacteria that covers your LR, sand and surfaces.

thanks, i have just come back from my hols, and all my parameters are the same, not done a water change in 3 weeks. does this mean it is stabling out. tank is 4 months old. and dont worry i am not getting a nem.

I agree with Mike and will add that as your tank matures you will have fewer PH swings and you personally will have more knowledge and know how to deal with your tank better.

I would say that after 4 months the tank will start to stable out....

Back
Top Bottom