Water Chemistry - Supplement Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vowelmovements

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At the 5 week mark my water chemistry on my 29g is:

0 ammonia, nitrites
nearly undetectable amount of nitrates

The last water change I did marked the start of RO/DI water from lfs and I threw in some codium to compete with the tiny bits of hair algea growing on my glass.

Don't have a phosphate kit yet but my other water specs are:

275 ppm Ca
1000 ppm magnesium
4 meq/L Alkalinity
1 meq/L Borate/Hydroxide
3 meq/L Carbonate Alkalinity

I am getting some Purple Up tommorow, any other supplement suggestions? THANKS.

At this point I wouldn't supplement anything other than calcium dosing with something like Kent part A and B.

What salinity is your tank water? By the sounds of it, you are well below 35 ppt? Usually upping the salinity (slowly over several days/week) towards 35 ppt will fix most of that issue. The lower the salinity gets, the more diluted the chemistry becomes. In a new tank set up, dosing is not really needed.

IO salts I'm guessing?

Cheers
Steve

Indeed, dosing for more purple/pink coraline algea. At the moment I have a green explosion and a bit of purple spreading.

Those readings were 5 days after a 20% water change using IO.

Also, should I use the plankton supplements fs sell for filter feeders? I have a big feather duster and few tiny ones in my rock along with some ricordia I would like to keep happy.

Thanks!

vowelmovements said:
Those readings were 5 days after a 20% water change using IO.
At what salinity though? It might be much easier to "tweek" the new SW as it's being made at a proper reef salinity (35 ppt) than messing with the main display. It would at least be safer until you get a better grasp on how the chemistry works.

Also, should I use the plankton supplements fs sell for filter feeders? I have a big feather duster and few tiny ones in my rock along with some ricordia I would like to keep happy.
The duster would definately benefit but the ricordia won't, at least not directly. Add a small amount of phyto once or twice a week.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom