Water cloudiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering. Does the salt give off a white tint to the water? Looking at the front of my tank it looks pretty good... When you look thru the sides it's white...

image-34982159.jpg

image-2353149806.jpg

Do you have power heads in there? Salt does not do that, in less there's to mush calcium. And to little magnesium or alkalinity Do you test ?
Or alge outbreak in the water column
Carbon works

Looks like you have very little flow in there. You also seen to be quite light on the live rock.

Ya. I'll have power heads on there by tomorrow . And the rest of my Rick is getting shipped today.. All levels are normal. Calcium is a lil high.. But I don't have enough corals to consume much.

I did just add active carbon for the first time Sunday night

Yeah. I have power heads on and active carbon in sump.. It's cleared up quite a bit. But still has a slight white and green haze when you look from the sides

The white haze may be dust from the sand or even a slight bacterial bloom. The green haze sounds odd. How long are the lights usually kept on and does the tank get hit with any natural sunlight? Also, is this tank still cycling?

Using a reactor is a great idea. It would also give you more media options that you'll probably be glad to have later on.

Tank is done cycling. All ages is gone now except some green. Glass slowly turns green. And I can see it in the tank. Just a light haze ill have to tak a pic n post it

That's how mine started had cyano then a cloudy tank from the side like you then the green wave came out of nowhere my uv came in this morning and I hooked up before I left for work so ill let you know how that is going

Does the tank get hit with any light from a window? I'm just curious.

Many people add a bit of carbon, ChemiPure or Purigen after the cycle ends to help clear up the water. The common way to check if you need it is to do the bucket test. When you do a water change you put the bucket of fresh saltwater next to the bucket of removed tank water. If the tank water looks yellowed compared to the new water you'll be able to see it clearly, side-by-side. If it's close to the same clear blue color then chemical media won't be necessary, at least for color polishing. It only works with white buckets though.

Back
Top Bottom