WATER EVAPORATION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That all depends on the size/surface area of the tank, open top or lid, fan or no fan, etc.

On my 10gallon I had about 1/2 gallon a day. I had open top and fan in my room full blast 24/7

I loose about 5 gallons every 3 days.....but I have a PC lighting with no top, so the water is exposed to the open air. Plus it gets cold here at night in the winter, so my heater is working overtime to try to keep the temp at 80.

Wow, that is more than I would have thought. We just had a very hot week here between Christmas and New Year and my sg really jumped. I was topping off but obviously nowhere near enough. I'll know better now

you should get the SG where you want it and then put a mark on the tank (a piece of tape is good) and just top off to that level. You won't have to check the SG as often that way.

I lose about a gallon a day on my 46 bowfront with no top. I was kind of shocked at first at the amount of water lost from the tank.

about 1 1/2 gallons a day. As stated earlier put a mark on your tank and you will always know.

I was looking through your gallery Mrs Hara to see what size tank and you have a beautiful gallery. I love your pics

I have noticed an increase in avaporation in the winter months this year. 10 gals of top off water only last about 3-4 days.

Auto top off set up and you don't need a mark on the sump. I just worry about the top off tank running low.

robertfah said:
My heater is working overtime to try to keep the temp at 80.

Just curious but why do you keep your house so hot? Hope your tank isn’t over 82.

I think gas heat is a bigger contributor than electric heat when it comes to evaporation. I add one gal a day or a little bit less on average for my 55 gal.

I was losing 2-3 gals per day in my 120, but then decided to turn off my cooling fans in the hood due to the colder house temps in the winter. I'm no losing about a gallon per day.

Fans seem to have a big effect on evaporation.

Spin

wow, that is really crazy how much everyone is losing.....I have a 55 main (open top with PC lighting) and a 20 gal sump (fully enclosed), and I only lose about a quart a day...

I lose 1g every 3days in my 65 (well covered, no fans, pc lighting) and about 6g a day in my 350g system that has lots of surface area, lots of MH glowing over it, and lots of splash in the sump. It really depends on your environment.

Back
Top Bottom