water evaporation rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am losing about 3 gallons of water in a 24 hour period to evaporation. Is this a normal amount. I realize the lights are hot and there is no glass cover seeing as that was holding the heat in.

In a open top tank with halides over it (I am assuming this is your 175) it sounds about right to me. I have a 20 gallon with a open top and it evaporates much quicker then my tanks with tops.

I'm losing a gallon a day from my 20 high with the 10g sump. I lose about 1 1/2 gal a day from the two 20g coral tanks. All these tanks are running open...no tops and have PC lighting...not as hot as yours I imagine. I don't think 3 gal a day is out of the ordinary for a tank the size of yours. JMHO.
Logan J

90 gal tank with 15 gal sump. 2 x 250 watt MH's and 2 x 96 watt PC's, open top with lights about 6 inches from surface of water. I lose about 2 gallon per day.

That's why an auto water top off works so good for dosing kalk. You can get enough in to do some good. Not sure if you have one but if not, you surely want one. A container, level switch in the sump and a dosing pump (if using kalk) or a small powerhead will work. Lots of DIY designs out there.

Back
Top Bottom