Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just put 2 karallai Eco 1050's in my 150g tank and it's almost too much!! My corals are folding over and my new frag came unglued... They have to be hitting the front glass even one pump running....

Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

In my 75 gallon I have two hydor 1300's and my tank could handle much more. I leave both on 24/7 with them pointed at each other from opposite corners.
The rule of thumb I was taught was turnover rate. Add the power heads gph then divide by tank size. Softies want a turnover of 30, LPS 40, and SPS 50.

This has worked for me.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have mine on each end torwar the top . Facing the middle it literally folded my softies completely over.. And unglued a frag from its plug.. Both running.. Only one running at the middle and the softies still look like there in a hurricane.... Pointed at the from glass there decent..
Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have two of the hydors on a smartwave along with a third ph (Vortech mp40) and yes they do click. I also have it on the 15 secs and its no more annoying than any of the other tank sounds but once in a while the fish do jump a little. Also I seem to have to replace the baskets every four months or so but I just contact hydor and so far they have sent free replacements. The wear and tear will vary by your timer settings, how often & how you clean, urchins, etc. ymmv
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I listened for that click.. And I barely hear it.. If you are not paying attention you can't tell in my tank..
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I run 2 1400's and one 1050 in my 150 gallon and the clicking had never bothered the fish. I tried running an additional 1050 but the water flow was too strong.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do soft corals react? I may just have to mess with mine more.. I turn both mine on and my coral retracts..
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely "listen" to your tank .however, It may also just be that spot. Do you have rock work that you could "hide" the corals behind? I've heard of reefers putting a pile of rocks in "mountain" shape for the corals who don't like all the flow. This way you can have a lot of flow for the sps and protect those who don't want it.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I always run my power heads 24/7. I would not suggest shutting them off at night, and I've seen critters go inside the power heads when they are off, and get mangled when the wave maker turns them back on. You might want grates over the impellers, like the koralias offer.
I run six 2400gph power heads, plus two 1400gph power heads, and 1800 gph return in my 300, and I'm wishing I had more flow.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have 2 1200 maxijets, one on each side in my 55g. Left faces up and right faces straight. Been having a lot of problems with the sand flying everything.

Tags
flow, water flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com