Water flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's some opinions on water flow? Mostly surface.. Middle of the tank.. Low . Front . Back.. On all the time . Off at night.. Rotating pumps from side to side??? Just wondering what peoples doing ..

My return line splits and goes low in the back of the tankbut curves toward the front.

My two PH are on opposite sides 3/4 up - one facing up to create a slight surface movement, and the other pointing straight across the top of my rocks. The PH alternate on a 15 minute cycle

I just bought hydor evos. With the smart wave controller.. Reviews say that they click excessively every time they start up. Causing fish to jump... Is yours doing that?

i have both my 420's pointed at the surface creating random flow, i like it but i still see an oily surface

ph is somewhat low too around 8 at best :/

but i love the flow and i think my corals do to

I have a 750 on the left side of the tank pointing straight forward to the glass, angled slightly up and slightly toward the middle of the tank. On the right side of the tank, I have a 750 aiming across the bank of the tank and a 425 sitting under the 750 pointing across the tank to the front. The 425 flow coincides with the 750 flow from the left. The two power heads on the right side alternate on/off at 15 second intervals.

The switching between evos using the smartwave does create a single clicking sound. Not horrible, but noticeable.

This is the reason I have them on 15min cycles. So I hear it less often. If you do 15s it will be so annoying.

Are you using the hydor evos? I'll find out in an hour. I'm going to hook mine up

I just put 2 karallai Eco 1050's in my 150g tank and it's almost too much!! My corals are folding over and my new frag came unglued... They have to be hitting the front glass even one pump running....

In my 75 gallon I have two hydor 1300's and my tank could handle much more. I leave both on 24/7 with them pointed at each other from opposite corners.
The rule of thumb I was taught was turnover rate. Add the power heads gph then divide by tank size. Softies want a turnover of 30, LPS 40, and SPS 50.

This has worked for me.

I have mine on each end torwar the top . Facing the middle it literally folded my softies completely over.. And unglued a frag from its plug.. Both running.. Only one running at the middle and the softies still look like there in a hurricane.... Pointed at the from glass there decent..

I have two of the hydors on a smartwave along with a third ph (Vortech mp40) and yes they do click. I also have it on the 15 secs and its no more annoying than any of the other tank sounds but once in a while the fish do jump a little. Also I seem to have to replace the baskets every four months or so but I just contact hydor and so far they have sent free replacements. The wear and tear will vary by your timer settings, how often & how you clean, urchins, etc. ymmv

I listened for that click.. And I barely hear it.. If you are not paying attention you can't tell in my tank..

I run 2 1400's and one 1050 in my 150 gallon and the clicking had never bothered the fish. I tried running an additional 1050 but the water flow was too strong.

How do soft corals react? I may just have to mess with mine more.. I turn both mine on and my coral retracts..

Definitely "listen" to your tank .however, It may also just be that spot. Do you have rock work that you could "hide" the corals behind? I've heard of reefers putting a pile of rocks in "mountain" shape for the corals who don't like all the flow. This way you can have a lot of flow for the sps and protect those who don't want it.

I always run my power heads 24/7. I would not suggest shutting them off at night, and I've seen critters go inside the power heads when they are off, and get mangled when the wave maker turns them back on. You might want grates over the impellers, like the koralias offer.
I run six 2400gph power heads, plus two 1400gph power heads, and 1800 gph return in my 300, and I'm wishing I had more flow.

I have 2 1200 maxijets, one on each side in my 55g. Left faces up and right faces straight. Been having a lot of problems with the sand flying everything.

Back
Top Bottom