water heater is constantly on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dasjestyr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a long tube heater, fully submersable. I have it turned the lowest setting. The tank water is at 75deg and raising and the heater stays on. Right now I'm just monitoring the temperature and will turn it off when it hits about 78. Is this normal? Is the thermostat broken or something?

dasjestyr said:
I have a long tube heater, fully submersable. I have it turned the lowest setting. The tank water is at 75deg and raising and the heater stays on. Right now I'm just monitoring the temperature and will turn it off when it hits about 78. Is this normal? Is the thermostat broken or something?

Same thing I had the other day. I replaced it.

Try unplugging it for a while and seeing if it kind of resets. But I would just replace it for safety' sake.

yeah, thats kinda how its happening since i have to leave it unplugged most of the time. i'll plug it in for a couple hours a day.

Had five of these. One melted down in tank, one the electric cord seperated at the heater. Stuck my hand in tank half asleep in AM. Standing on a concrete floor. BZZZZZZZ....Lit me up. Grabbed my meter to find source. The other stuck on and found temp @ 94 deg. Lost my luna wrasse.

cagey said:
Had five of these. One melted down in tank, one the electric cord seperated at the heater. Stuck my hand in tank half asleep in AM. Standing on a concrete floor. BZZZZZZZ....Lit me up. Grabbed my meter to find source. The other stuck on and found temp @ 94 deg. Lost my luna wrasse.

Man you are lucky it didn't kill you or set your house on fire. Mine wasn't a stealth. They are too inexpensive to be in doubt of replacing. I got a good 300 watt Eclipse for 20 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom