Water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marcquez08

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been testing the water in my tank and my nitrates seem to be reading high at 30-40 ppm. After doing large water changes it appears the nitrates are still high. I've been using drinking water from an artisan springs near by and now I am questioning if I am even using the correct water. When I tested the fresh water they nitraites read also read high. So it is apparent that either my tests are inaccurate or I am just an idiot and have been using the wrong water. Someone please help clear up this problem!

It's greatly appreciated.

Could very well be high nitrates in the spring water. Go to the store and get a gallon of distilled water and test your test. Then you should know for sure.

I tested my tap water and the nitraites were almost non-existant. I feel like such an idiot... So am I supposed to be using distilled water?

Most folks on here get an ro/di filter and make their own. If you have a smaller tank you can buy ro/di water or distilled water for water changes though it will get expensive. If you

I may have to buy a unit now. I think they place I got the spring water from sells distilled water also. So I am going to see how much that water costs. My lfs sells premaid water so I am going to see what it costs since I only have a 55g tank.

Distilled or premade is always a decent option til you decide on a filter. A lot of other folks in here would have better advice for you on a filter but I have heard good things about spectra pure. I have a 40 gallon and I just buy distilled since my tap water is so bad.

ro/di water is the best way to go. You can make your own or your local fish shop may sell it. I get pre-made saltwater from my local shop for $1 a gallon.

+1 on getting your own RODI unit. You'll save money on your water/salt water changes\topoffs over time. Best of all, it's always available just in case you have a problem. I'm a fan of the BRS 5stage plus myself.
75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System - English

A bit more pricey, but has a lot more features I like.

I now use the BRS unit, it is much bigger and has more bells and whistles. lol

I also make like 100g a week. lol

I have noticed one thing I'm not too happy about with the BRS unit and thats how slow it goes in comparison to the ebay one. Takes twice as long as it did before.

I now use the BRS unit, it is much bigger and has more bells and whistles. lol

I also make like 100g a week. lol

I have noticed one thing I'm not too happy about with the BRS unit and thats how slow it goes in comparison to the ebay one. Takes twice as long as it did before.

I had a similar issue when first using it. Carey, did you happen to flush the system for an hour or so before use? After flushing mine, it worked noticeably faster.

I did flush mine for several hours and use the flush kit before I make water each time. The difference is in the membrane. The BRS is only 75gpd and the ebay one is I think 100-150gpd. It used to take me an hour to get 5g now its over 2 hours. Still a great unit though. I will probably get the piggy back membrane to put on the BRS unit so I can make double the water.

Carey, do the math. A 75 gpd membrane is capable of making 3.125 gallons per hour under ideal conditions. A 100 gpd membrane can make 4.167 gph and a 150gpd membrane can make 6.25 gph. You can't make water any faster than the slowest link in the chain.

Ideal conditions are water >50 degrees F and > 60 psi < 75 psi. Very cold water in mid winter slows my 150gpd down to about half even with a booster pump.

BRS has their 75gpd listed as making 2 gallons and change an hour. I have temps about 77-80 and 65psi in pressure. :)

I may have to grab a unit. I only have a 55g tank so I am sure the eBay unit would suffice.

Ultimately isn't distilled water the same at the ro/di water? If so, it will cost me $4 per 5 gallons which will definitely add up.

Distilled and RODI are not the same as they use a different process. Either way you end up with water clear of sediment, heavy metals, chlorine/chloramine, etc.

@Carey, with your temp and pressure the unit should be making the rated capacity of the membrane. If BRS rates it for less it may be just to avoid folks expecting the ideal under less than ideal conditions. You can run a test with a 1 gallon jug to see how long it takes. I have run that test with my AirWaterIce Typhoon III unit and both the 100 gpd and the 150 gpd membranes produced the numbers I posted when the temp and pressure were in the sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom