Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water help

I have been testing the water in my tank and my nitrates seem to be reading high at 30-40 ppm. After doing large water changes it appears the nitrates are still high. I've been using drinking water from an artisan springs near by and now I am questioning if I am even using the correct water. When I tested the fresh water they nitraites read also read high. So it is apparent that either my tests are inaccurate or I am just an idiot and have been using the wrong water. Someone please help clear up this problem!

It's greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Could very well be high nitrates in the spring water. Go to the store and get a gallon of distilled water and test your test. Then you should know for sure.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I tested my tap water and the nitraites were almost non-existant. I feel like such an idiot... So am I supposed to be using distilled water?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Most folks on here get an ro/di filter and make their own. If you have a smaller tank you can buy ro/di water or distilled water for water changes though it will get expensive. If you
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I may have to buy a unit now. I think they place I got the spring water from sells distilled water also. So I am going to see how much that water costs. My lfs sells premaid water so I am going to see what it costs since I only have a 55g tank.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

Distilled or premade is always a decent option til you decide on a filter. A lot of other folks in here would have better advice for you on a filter but I have heard good things about spectra pure. I have a 40 gallon and I just buy distilled since my tap water is so bad.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Ncts
ro/di water is the best way to go. You can make your own or your local fish shop may sell it. I get pre-made saltwater from my local shop for $1 a gallon.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This unit is the cheapest I';ve found and works great. I used it for over a year for my tanks and it was a great little unit.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on getting your own RODI unit. You'll save money on your water/salt water changes\topoffs over time. Best of all, it's always available just in case you have a problem. I'm a fan of the BRS 5stage plus myself.
75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System - English

A bit more pricey, but has a lot more features I like.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I now use the BRS unit, it is much bigger and has more bells and whistles. lol

I also make like 100g a week. lol

I have noticed one thing I'm not too happy about with the BRS unit and thats how slow it goes in comparison to the ebay one. Takes twice as long as it did before.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com