Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
Water Movement ?

Hello, I have been using a Natural Wave Timer in my system for about 8 months and have 3 power heads connected to it.

Recently one of the outlets stopped putting out power (what a bummer) I've been looking at replacing it with the Red Sea WaveMaster Pro.

Does any one have any experience with it? What do the "night time " and "feeding" modes mean?

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I've heard good things about it.

The feeding mode shuts off power to the powerheads for about 5 minutes so the food doesn't blow around. I've got a wave maker that is similar and has the feeding mode button, I never use it, I make my fish chase their food

The night time mode should slow the pumps down some, reduced rather than no power to simulate slower currents at night, although I've seen this feature on many wave makers, I've never actually read a report where the currents slow down at night on the reef. I personally wouldn't use that feature also.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Contact the Natural wave timer maker. It should have a 1 year warrantee on it. You might be able to get it replaced.

I dont have one of the wavemaster units but this is my guess.

The night time is probably a less agressive switching of current. When the suns not on the reef IMO the currents within the reef would be less. The feeding mod is probably a mode that shuts the PH's down entirely for a period of X timeframe.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I use a wavemaster pro on my tank and have really been pleased with it. The nightime setting runs a continous gentle flow that will allow for nightime calcification but is much less turbid than the agressive flow settings. The unit has 8 settings, 4 for reef and 4 for marine (gentle, rolling, turbid, and a setting that alternates each every 30 min) The feeding mode shuts off all of your powerheads except the powerhead you designate as PH#2 for 30 min. Night setting runs for 8 hours and then kicks back into your daytime setting. If I had to give you something I don't like about the system is that is has no memory so each time you turn it off or lose power if defaults to fish only, gentle.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Am I correct that in the night time mode there is less electrical currant being deliverd to the power heads? Or does it stop switching so quickly?

Old 03-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
All the information I could find on the nightmode was:

"The night program provides an 8 hour period of calmer water motion, irrespective of which wave program has been selected."

I also want to make a correction to something I said above:
Quote:
The unit has 8 settings, 4 for reef and 4 for marine (gentle, rolling, turbid, and a setting that alternates each every 30 min)
This is incorrect, the Alternating setting runs each of the other settings for four hours each, not 30 Min.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

"The night program provides an 8 hour period of calmer water motion, irrespective of which wave program has been selected."

I read this also but am not sure hoe they achieve the "calmer" period?

Fishfreek, I recently threw away a large pile of receipts that I was collecting on my aquarium expenses (the pile was embarrassingly large).

Tags
movement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com