Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
most of what I see in some of the forums, is misguided information based on no scientific evidence..
So true. You have to weed it out to glean the good info. Lots of hear-say in these forums.

Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I don't know how we got onto corals or what salt you use or uv's, I just wanted to know peoples suggestions for placement of powerheads but I think we've got it worked out. If you want to go into corals, yep we have some, the hardy ones, we have a pipe organ coral that had about a quarter of it covered with polyps, now it is more than half, we have a toadstool leather that when we bought it had some dark brown almost black spots on it and is now a beautiful golden brown and we have a beautiful giant cup mushroom that was sold to us as a ricordea but it's isnt' after getting Aquarium Corals by Eric H. Borneman after a book recommendation from Reefrunner. We also have a large piece of Maiden's hair, and our nitrates are at 2.5 . I think everyone does what they feel is best and what they have learned from doing research, we've done our research too and are continuing to do more as we go, we were just asking for advice for water movement to help remedy something that isn't exactly that attractive to look at, but it's not all over the tank, just one area, it's easy to remove by hand. Oh and for the record, our Ph has always been at 8.2 and we have coraline growth but it's on our rocks, not on the walls of our tank, even our snails have coraline growth to the point you don't know they are on the rocks.

Good luck with your upcoming additions to your tank, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours.

And I've had some great information from this site especially from they guys that run this site and the advisors, they have always been there to help us. I guess that's why we keep coming back. :P

New2Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #13
We also have a large piece of Maiden's hair, and our nitrates are at 2.5 .
Sorry it went to corals, I thought we discussed the flow issue earlier in this thread and some of the other members and I went on to conditions and corals...I do want to know how you have your nitrates at 2.5?
Old 03-07-2003, 07:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
No problem about the corals, I guess I'm a bit on edge today with what is going on in the news and having a 2 year old into everything so if I came across sharp I'm sorry. As far as the nitrates, the refugium has really helped us out and I'd say the large piece of Maiden's hair has helped too. We plan on adding more macro algae in hopes that will help it further, we also got the fuge to help with the copepod population as we have 2 scooter blennies, they eat brine shrimp too but I want them to have their normal diet too.
New2Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
To add also, in the refugium, we have some LS (about 1 lb or so) & some LR rubble. I think this helps in buffering & helps with the nitrates. To make sure our fuge doesn't collect food or algea on the walls, we have one snail & a couple of hermits in the fuge.

Before getting the fuge, our nitrates were between 2.5 & 5.0. Since getting the fuge the nitrates have been steady at 2.5 so we do notice it helping control it.

Hope this helps, Timbo.
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind of test kit gives readings of 2.5? I have color comparisons at 0, 5, 10, 20, 40...... I don't think I can tell enough color difference to get as precise as 2.5.

Anyway.... I still am wondering about the water flow... How many gallons per hour are you pumping total? I pump about 680 gph in my 72 gallon and seem to have more then enough flow throughout the tank. I had the usual algae cycles..... diatoms... sargassum.... a little bit of red slime. I didn't feel any of them were caused low water flow or could have been prevented by higher water flow.

Right now my tank is 6 months old and the only algae problems for the last 3 months has been bryopsis. But again it does not seem to be caused by a flow problem. More of an excess nutrient problem.

maiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com