water movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milmokes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am running 2 aquaclear 30 (150 gallons each) on my 29 gallon tank. I am planning on adding some soft corals. Is this enough water flow from the filters or should I add some more powerheads? and how much if so?

Drop in some granule or flake food and see where it goes and how fast. My 20 gallon couldn't handle a ph in addition to the hob filter. It kept the sand stirred up and cloudy constantly.

I think your a little bit on the low side right now. For a soft coral reef tank you should aim for between 15-20x per hour tank turn over rate. I used to run a mj1200(290gph), HOB(280gph), and a mj 600(160 gph) on my 29gal. FWIW, I was actually going to upgrade the mj600 to a 900 for some more flow b/c of some dead spots where detritus would gather.

I have about 300 gph of movement in my 15g tank. It works very well, the way I have it setup, the skimmer output circulates water through the LR which really helps too.

Also, keep and eye out for dead spots in the tank. With two HOB filters outletting water on the surface of a tall tank like a 29g, I would be shocked if there were not at least a couple areas of low flow in the tank.

If I were you I'd look at adding a mj600 or maybe a 900. The amount of LR you have and how you have it arranged will affect the intensity of the flow, so it is hard to say. I had 45lbs LR in my 29 and a 25x per hour turnover rate, and I would say there weren't any high flow areas b/c the rock slowed the water down. By the way, most softies and LPS like low-moderate flow. HTH

MT79 said:
The amount of LR you have and how you have it arranged will affect the intensity of the flow, so it is hard to say.

Depends on your bio load. I would not add these PH's If you don't have the Bio filtration. I would read up on the corals that you are thinking of adding, and then base you decision on that. Even then you may still move it around the tank unit you find a spot that it responds to.
Good luck,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom