Water movement: circular vs. turbulent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was hoping to get some opinions on this topic. Which would be better for a reef tank? Having the water flow in a circular pattern around the tank (like a whirlpool) or turbulent flow (having two or more powerheads facing each other)?

Keith

Yup, what he said. Can't think of anything that likes swimming in a toilet bowl.

Just think of the natural ocean environment. Sometimes turbulent, but always different tides and a more chaotic crashing of water flow, etc, etc. Your corals will love it. Also, I prefer one of the controllers that gives you that and can switch to calm every so often. And I like a feeding function that allows you to shut down the PH's for 5 or 10 min whilst feeding.

Thanks for the feedback. I read that having a circular movement can actually increase the flow rate but I think I'm with everyone else. I think tubulent would be the way to go to mimic the ocean. Besides, I wouldn't want to traumatize the fish to think they were about to be flushed down the toilet. LOL

Back
Top Bottom