Water Movement- important or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have 2 corals- a green star polyp and a few mushrooms. I have 2 powerheads- a maxi-jet that does something like 140 gph and a Rio 50 that does even less. My hang on wet-dry filter also stirs up the water. My tank is 55 gal. and I was just wondering how important for the tank and corals is water movement. Also has anyone ever had a type of Aquaclear powerhead? How are they? Thanks! :D

I have 2 AquaClear ph, they move about 300gph each, they are silent. And from what ive been told id say yes you need a lot more flow.

Flow is very important. You def need to increase the flow in your tank. I have no experience with Aquaclear. Sorry

Yeah, I saw that feature on the web page. What is reverse flow? Also what is the recommnended amount of flow in a tank? Thanks

Flow is very, very, very important in a SW tank, especially a reef. A lot of corals receive food via the water collum and rely on flow to move the particles past them. Flow will also help aerate the water. Point one of your powerheads so it breaks the surface fo the water causing ripples. This will ensure good gas exchange. for a reef you should be turning your tank's water volume over 15-20x/hr.

Back
Top Bottom