Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Jamroz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 194
I also throw a bag of carbon in my sump with the uv my water is like it's not even there haha
__________________

__________________
Jamroz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gti_Leo's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj_junkie View Post
I have a sock on the drain but mostly for the bubbles, it's a mesh sock cause the felt one couldn't keep up with the flow, I also have a sump sponge in the last stage for the same reason, they do tend to get very dirty which makes me think it could be some type of dust from the sand. Ill try cleaning them out more often and see if that helps. Does anyone recommend running carbon? I hear it polishes the water very nicely

yes keep them clean as they will likly get dirtier. keep a few filter socks so you can just replace them and wash the other one, carbon does indead help keep things polished which is why i suggested chemipure it is a brand of carbon and the elite one has a bit of GFO in it to help remove some phosphate and nitrate. you can put it in your filter sock so the water can flow through it or simple make a cheapo carbon reactor out of a water bottle with a slow rate pump that will do about 50GHP
__________________

__________________
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
z_dano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western mass
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj_junkie View Post

I have a sock on the drain but mostly for the bubbles, it's a mesh sock cause the felt one couldn't keep up with the flow, I also have a sump sponge in the last stage for the same reason, they do tend to get very dirty which makes me think it could be some type of dust from the sand. Ill try cleaning them out more often and see if that helps. Does anyone recommend running carbon? I hear it polishes the water very nicely
I would put a ball valve on your pump, throttle it back a bit, and use the felt sock for a bit and see if that helps. I had a similar issue with my sump, I would pump out more than I could take in. It's never a bad idea to have ball valves on the input and output of your sump, it allows you to tweak things.

You didn't answer my question about water parameters.
Are you testing your water?
__________________
z_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bjj_junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post

yes keep them clean as they will likly get dirtier. keep a few filter socks so you can just replace them and wash the other one, carbon does indead help keep things polished which is why i suggested chemipure it is a brand of carbon and the elite one has a bit of GFO in it to help remove some phosphate and nitrate. you can put it in your filter sock so the water can flow through it or simple make a cheapo carbon reactor out of a water bottle with a slow rate pump that will do about 50GHP
Thanks ill look into that, but doesn't carbon have a negative effect on corals?
__________________
bjj_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bjj_junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dano View Post

I would put a ball valve on your pump, throttle it back a bit, and use the felt sock for a bit and see if that helps. I had a similar issue with my sump, I would pump out more than I could take in. It's never a bad idea to have ball valves on the input and output of your sump, it allows you to tweak things.

You didn't answer my question about water parameters.
Are you testing your water?
Thanks I have gate valves going both ways and on the initial build I had a mag 9 as return pump but it was too strong and the drain could keep up with it even dialing it back so I had to buy a mag 5. Both valves are completely open now.

Parameters haven't been checked in a week but they were all fine last time. I have a ph probe so I can monitor my ph at all times and it seems kinda low at times from 7.80 - 8.20 but never higher, it's usually around 7.90 for the most part. Salinity is at 1.025 and I don't have a calcium test kit yet
__________________
bjj_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gti_Leo's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 3,021
i haven't seen anyone say carbon has a negative impact on corals, it helps soak up any impurities in the water. as for the calcium test kit, if you're goign reef its best to get one, calcium and alkilinity have an effect on your PH level. also the brand of salt does too, i was having lower PH levels when i was using instant ocean reef crystals then i switched to redsea max and the PH is stable and i got have a brown oily film that builds up in the mixing bucket on both the surface and the actual bucket
__________________
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
+1 on the Chemipure. I run chemipure and my corals have been doing fine. After I added the chemipure, my water became so much clearer that even my hubby noticed the difference, and I didn't even tell him I had added it.
__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
Run some carbon, it will clarify the water and doesn't harm corals. Use the low phosphorous type and rinse it before use. UV is a bad idea IMO.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bjj_junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
+1 on the Chemipure. I run chemipure and my corals have been doing fine. After I added the chemipure, my water became so much clearer that even my hubby noticed the difference, and I didn't even tell him I had added it.
Thanks I'm gonna order some when I get a chance. Should I just put some in a mesh bag and throw it in the sump?.. How much should I use?
__________________
bjj_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj_junkie View Post

Thanks I'm gonna order some when I get a chance. Should I just put some in a mesh bag and throw it in the sump?.. How much should I use?
It comes in a mesh bag. Just put in the sump in an area of high flow.
__________________

__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clear, crystal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.