Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water not crystal clear =(

Hello everyone, I'm still new to this hobby and this is my first reef tank so I'm not sure how long some things take. My tank has been running for a month and one week and from my understanding I'm done or in the very last stages of cycling. My question here is that I find a slight haze in my water and I don't know why. Is it too early to worry about this? I mean the water is clear but not crystal clear. The tank is 4 feet long and if you view it from side to side you can really notice the haze. I'm running an mp40 and I have Fiji pink sand, could this be the cause? Maybe dust from the sand? I know I don't need to be running the mp40 now since I don't have livestock but I thought it would be better to have the circulation. I read that running carbon could help but I also read it could be bad for sps in the future... I'm open to any suggestions, thanks in advanced

Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had an alge problem and that milky cloudy you see I had also bought a 40 uv sterlizer for my tank and omg a week later is crystal clear though you may need to look into it it's more then likely a high nutrient or something get a test kit but my uv did wonders

Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamroz37 View Post
I had an alge problem and that milky cloudy you see I had also bought a 40 uv sterlizer for my tank and omg a week later is crystal clear though you may need to look into it it's more then likely a high nutrient or something get a test kit but my uv did wonders
Thank you, which uv did you go with?... I haven't got one because I read mixed thoughts on running one with a refugium. Do you run it 24/7?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

what type of mechanical filtration do you have. better question is what type of filtration do you currently have
Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea I run mine all the time it fits in my overflow and I also got a protein skimmer also ill find a picture of the one in a min
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-852465545.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	156929  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
what type of mechanical filtration do you have. better question is what type of filtration do you currently have
Well it's a 60g display and a 20g sump and I'm running an aquac ev120 powered by a mag 5 and it's all running through a refugium with some rock and chaeto.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yes, I would start here also. I would also ask what everything is testing at?
Ph
Nitrate
Nitrite
Amonia
These would be good starters, after that I would ask what you have for lighting and how long your running it.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

try using some filter floss or a filter sock to filter out the water of any sort of cloudy water, on new tanks the sand usually does have a resedue on it and you will require some mechanical filtration to get it out.

also another cause of cloudy ness is if the tank is not fully cycles the ammonia will cause a haze in the water, if all perameters are in check then look into a bit of mechanical filtration and maybe a bit of chemipure to clean it up.

i would also refrain from gettign a UV sterilizer, it tends to burn whatever goes through it which means it can harm beneficial bacteria, or any critters that pass though it. you already have a refugium so leave it to the refugium skimmer and rock to do the biological filtration. natural filtration will keep things happy and less stressful
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
try using some filter floss or a filter sock to filter out the water of any sort of cloudy water, on new tanks the sand usually does have a resedue on it and you will require some mechanical filtration to get it out.

also another cause of cloudy ness is if the tank is not fully cycles the ammonia will cause a haze in the water, if all perameters are in check then look into a bit of mechanical filtration and maybe a bit of chemipure to clean it up
I have a sock on the drain but mostly for the bubbles, it's a mesh sock cause the felt one couldn't keep up with the flow, I also have a sump sponge in the last stage for the same reason, they do tend to get very dirty which makes me think it could be some type of dust from the sand. Ill try cleaning them out more often and see if that helps. Does anyone recommend running carbon? I hear it polishes the water very nicely

Tags
clear, crystal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com