Water nutirent high low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But are nutrient not other things than just nitrates and phosphates?

Could it not be a high level of zooplankton or phytoplankton in the water or high levels of other bacteria?

No mainly you want you calcium, magnesium and alkalinity balanced and then your excess nutrients that cause poor water quality and algae outbreaks will be nitRATE and phosphate. Both are leading causes of algae along with old light bulbs, leaving lights on too long or natural sunlight hitting the tank. Keeping nitrates and phosphates low will prevent nuisance algae in most cases since that is what they feed on. Get a test kit for both and I recommend a nice kit like Red Sea because most others are fairly inaccurate and wound up costing me more in the long run when I started out in marine aquariums. Hope this helps you out.

Yeah I have the Red Sea master test kit. But I reckon I do have a quiet a low nutrient tank. I wonder if that's why my softies are taking a beating lately. Thanks for the info

Yeah I have the Red Sea master test kit. But I reckon I do have a quiet a low nutrient tank. I wonder if that's why my softies are taking a beating lately. Thanks for the info

Red Sea Master Test Kit? I don't think that Red Sea offers a "master" kit, which infers that it includes all. They have the "Marine Care Pack" and "Coral Color Pack" but none include all...?

What are your test readings and more than just nutrients/elements go into a reef. It's lighting, flow, day temperature and night temperature swing, Ph and Ph swing, lighting schedule, salt mix, water change techniques, age of tank, etc Eric. We will need way more info to diagnose your problem. If you can answer some of those factors as they apply to your tank we can attempt to help you be successful.

Also what size tank? And equipment such as pumps, sump, skimmer, light fixture and power rating and what kind of corals you are trying to keep.

What are your test readings and more than just nutrients/elements go into a reef. It's lighting, flow, day temperature and night temperature swing, Ph and Ph swing, lighting schedule, salt mix, water change techniques, age of tank, etc Eric. We will need way more info to diagnose your problem. If you can answer some of those factors as they apply to your tank we can attempt to help you be successful.

My temperature doesn't swing I live in ireland and the weather never get too ht to knock it out by too much.

Ph is always 8.4 never seen it lower ever and then my water is pre mixed in the lfs.
So when changing water. I siphon my water straight out my window and have it marked where to stop. Then add the replacement water to my sump for it to heat back up. And then pump it through the system. My sump holds about 150 litres if not more and my main display hold maybe 450-500 litres.
I do have a lot of live rock maybe too much if that's possible. And lights I have on a 12 hour cycle with 4 cloud covering and lightening storms a day just to break the intensity for a coupke of minutes.

Also what size tank? And equipment such as pumps, sump, skimmer, light fixture and power rating and what kind of corals you are trying to keep.

I have 2 tunze 6045 and 6055 wave makers with 2 sun sun 15000 litres an hour wave makers also. Then I have a v2 1000 skimmer. I have 36w jbl uv and I have ozone also.
Then 2 ai hydra fixtures over my tank. I mainly have a few torch and frogspawn corals and trumpets. They all do perfect and most of my zoas do well just a certain few have died and so have my xenia and my star polyps.

I have calcium which is at 380.
And potassium I also have which is spot on. And my magnesium has never dropped in my tank ever. Just alk.

How do you know mag is constant if you have no test for it?What's your magnesium at? If it is to low then you will have a hard time keeping alkalinity and calcium up.

I get phos and mag tested in my local fish shop. And my mag is always at 1250-1300 never below. Don't know why. And only recently my calcium had dropped to 380. I have never seen that drop ever. And potassium never changes ever.

I just came across the same kind of issue been pulling my hair out all morning trying to figure out why so I can correctly fix it before it effects my corals
but mine came after a water change using a different brand salt
all my numbers are spot on except alk and ph
so your not alone

Back
Top Bottom