Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water nutirent high low

How can I test if nutrients are low in my tank. Or too high? Thanks

Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You test for nitrates and phosphates.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

But are nutrient not other things than just nitrates and phosphates?

Could it not be a high level of zooplankton or phytoplankton in the water or high levels of other bacteria?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No mainly you want you calcium, magnesium and alkalinity balanced and then your excess nutrients that cause poor water quality and algae outbreaks will be nitRATE and phosphate. Both are leading causes of algae along with old light bulbs, leaving lights on too long or natural sunlight hitting the tank. Keeping nitrates and phosphates low will prevent nuisance algae in most cases since that is what they feed on. Get a test kit for both and I recommend a nice kit like Red Sea because most others are fairly inaccurate and wound up costing me more in the long run when I started out in marine aquariums. Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have the Red Sea master test kit. But I reckon I do have a quiet a low nutrient tank. I wonder if that's why my softies are taking a beating lately. Thanks for the info
Old 06-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steo the great View Post
Yeah I have the Red Sea master test kit. But I reckon I do have a quiet a low nutrient tank. I wonder if that's why my softies are taking a beating lately. Thanks for the info

Red Sea Master Test Kit? I don't think that Red Sea offers a "master" kit, which infers that it includes all. They have the "Marine Care Pack" and "Coral Color Pack" but none include all...?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are your test readings and more than just nutrients/elements go into a reef. It's lighting, flow, day temperature and night temperature swing, Ph and Ph swing, lighting schedule, salt mix, water change techniques, age of tank, etc Eric. We will need way more info to diagnose your problem. If you can answer some of those factors as they apply to your tank we can attempt to help you be successful.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also what size tank? And equipment such as pumps, sump, skimmer, light fixture and power rating and what kind of corals you are trying to keep.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402149449.912457.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	239632
This is what I meant
Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
What are your test readings and more than just nutrients/elements go into a reef. It's lighting, flow, day temperature and night temperature swing, Ph and Ph swing, lighting schedule, salt mix, water change techniques, age of tank, etc Eric. We will need way more info to diagnose your problem. If you can answer some of those factors as they apply to your tank we can attempt to help you be successful.

My temperature doesn't swing I live in ireland and the weather never get too ht to knock it out by too much.

Ph is always 8.4 never seen it lower ever and then my water is pre mixed in the lfs.
So when changing water. I siphon my water straight out my window and have it marked where to stop. Then add the replacement water to my sump for it to heat back up. And then pump it through the system. My sump holds about 150 litres if not more and my main display hold maybe 450-500 litres.
I do have a lot of live rock maybe too much if that's possible. And lights I have on a 12 hour cycle with 4 cloud covering and lightening storms a day just to break the intensity for a coupke of minutes.

Tags
ate, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com