Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water opinions!!

Since I put my PC's on, I have green hair algae growing on some of my LR. I have been using distilled water, is the algae from the water? Should I consider a RO/DI filter when I can afford it? I was just wondering if changing my water to RO water would minimize this algae?

Old 09-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using ro/di water for top-offs and water changes would help with the problem. Also, how long are your lights currently running and do you know how old the bulbs are?

Old 09-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Have you always been using distilled? What are your water peramiters like the phosphate level and nitrate levels?

The hair algae growth is signs of excess nutrients in the water and also its being fuled by the brigher lights. This nutrients could be from the water source, could be from the food your feeding or could be from over crowding and under filtration.

Do you have a skimmer?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Test your distilled water, properly distilled water is more pure than RO/DI water. The distilled water I purchase from the grocery store for my freshwater tank has been carbon filtered, then run through an RO filter and then steam distilled and I have 0 problems with algae, I am also using this water for my newly setup saltwater tank.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

The PC's are brand new, I did add some LR that probably gave off some die off into the tank. I thought the distilled water worked a little better than the Grocery stores RO water?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
Should I consider a RO/DI filter when I can afford it?
Absolutely! I now consider this an essential part of my reef keeping equipment.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I upgraded to PC's my tank was still fairly new and the hair algae took off also. I use DI water. The lights also bleached most of my coralline which was a bummer. I doubled my Astrea population and sat back and waited. One month later the hair algae is gone and the coralline is coming back. If your water parameters for phosphate and nitrate test OK your tank may just need some time to adjust to the brighter lighting.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com