water parameter problems need help stablizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone I just did an ALK test and its high, around 5.5! I have yet to do a calcium test as I will soon get my order for one soon. My pH is about 8.2-8.3. My ammonia is normal, haven't tested for the others yet. I have been using my tap water which I recently found to be very hard and full of phosphate, so I went to the LFS tonight with the only 5 gallon bucket I had to get RO water and use for a water change on my 45G tank. Should I/Shouldn't I be doing something? Any suggestion would help, thank you!

o I went to the LFS tonight with the only 5 gallon bucket I had to get RO water and use for a water change on my 45G tank. Should I/Shouldn't I be doing something?

Has this tank cyaled? Is there any life in there yet? Until you get a CA kit, you should not add anything to bring the ALK down. Simply do med size waterchanges. The thing is, it could very well be your salt mix that is causing the issue. Are you using IO? Mix up the salt with the RO water, let it mix 24 hours and test that ;)

Something else to consider when testing and getting abnormal results. Keep in mind the ALK was like this yesterday, you just happened to find out today. If your animals are not showing signs of stress...don't freak out.

Back
Top Bottom