Water parameter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally got my newest corals settled in and thought I'd better test the water again. I wasn't able to find a place on this site listing the norms for a reef tank. I'm not sure but I think my nitrates might be a little high?

Current results:

nitrate 10 mg/l
nitrite 0
ph 8-8,2 (it's right in the middle between these two numbers)
calcium 380 (it's low)
ammonia 0
temp 79.2

I'm due for another water change in a couple of days unless you think I should do it sooner? I'm just getting ready to receive my last coral and I'd just as soon get the water straightened out over the weekend before I get my other coral. (yes, I did finally find a good sized red lobo)

Thank you!

If I was going to do a water change, I would prefer to do one before receiving animals.

Your parameters look fine. If anything, try to get NO3 below 5ppm for a reef.

Innovater offered a great site. However, I would suggest that the "near zero" reading for NH3 and NO2 be nothing more then ZERO. Near zero is just not good enough for me.

Think it all depends on what salt you're using, and how low your nitrate test kit can measure. I think pretty much all salts will put some amount of nitrates into your water, whether you want them or not. My Reef Crystals, mixed with DI water, gives me 0.5ppm nitrates - which pretty much matches the latest salt water test results floating around the internet. So I could do water changes until pigs fly (naturally), but I'll never get anything less than 0.5ppm.

With that said though... I agree that as close to your "pure salt water" baseline as you can get is best. Most I've ever had in my tank (well... since things stabilized after I cycled) is around 1.0ppm. So in my book, 10 is pretty high. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom