Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water parameter question

I finally got my newest corals settled in and thought I'd better test the water again. I wasn't able to find a place on this site listing the norms for a reef tank. I'm not sure but I think my nitrates might be a little high?

Current results:

nitrate 10 mg/l
nitrite 0
ph 8-8,2 (it's right in the middle between these two numbers)
calcium 380 (it's low)
ammonia 0
temp 79.2

I'm due for another water change in a couple of days unless you think I should do it sooner? I'm just getting ready to receive my last coral and I'd just as soon get the water straightened out over the weekend before I get my other coral. (yes, I did finally find a good sized red lobo)

Thank you!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If I was going to do a water change, I would prefer to do one before receiving animals.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ideal Water Parameters for Your Marine, Freshwater, Brackish Aquarium, or Pond
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Excellent! Thanks very much for the link. I think I'll write it down this time.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I don't see anything wrong with those params...although nothing wrong with an extra PWC either..
Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your parameters look fine. If anything, try to get NO3 below 5ppm for a reef.

Innovater offered a great site. However, I would suggest that the "near zero" reading for NH3 and NO2 be nothing more then ZERO. Near zero is just not good enough for me.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Think it all depends on what salt you're using, and how low your nitrate test kit can measure. I think pretty much all salts will put some amount of nitrates into your water, whether you want them or not. My Reef Crystals, mixed with DI water, gives me 0.5ppm nitrates - which pretty much matches the latest salt water test results floating around the internet. So I could do water changes until pigs fly (naturally), but I'll never get anything less than 0.5ppm.

With that said though... I agree that as close to your "pure salt water" baseline as you can get is best. Most I've ever had in my tank (well... since things stabilized after I cycled) is around 1.0ppm. So in my book, 10 is pretty high. But that's just me.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com