Water Parameter Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquanGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new Salt Reef 35g tank and I bought the salt water already ready to go, I didn't have to mix it myself. I also bought the rock already cleaned and cycled. The sand I bought was LIVE. What the fish store told me is by doing this, I don't have to go through the normal cycle-time and I could add a fish in a week.

I have added the fish and all seems to be well. I did some tests and I am unclear what the Ammonia reading is telling me? I cannot measure the Salinity yet as my hydrometer is broke.

Here is what I know:
  • Temp between 78-80
  • ph 8.2
  • Ammonia 0.25
  • Nitrite 0.05
  • Nitrate 2.5
In the instuctions it tells you that your Ammonia level depends on the temp and salinity?

Can someone shed some light on the Ammonia reading, is it good or bad or normal at this early stage?

Thanks.
:confused:

Ammonia is not dependant upon anything other than ammonia. lol. I take it you understand how the nitrifying cycle works? If not, check out the "Nitrogen Cycle" link in my signature...

Ammonia and nitrIte are bad for your fish, so you really need to keep those levels down as low as possible by doing water changes since you have fish.

It's likely that if the rock you got was really cycled already, that you're just seeing a "mini-cycle" and things might never get out of control.

Continue to test your water parameters, if the ammonia or nitrIte numbers continue to rise consider doing a PWC.

In general you want to keep your ammonia and nitrIte levels at 0.0, and your nitrAte as low as you can.

PM me the store name so I know not to go to them

"The exact toxicity of Ammonia will depend on several factors such as water salinity, pH, temperature etc. If the concentration of ammonia can be detected in your aquarium it is said to be too high for your fish."

That is quite different than what those instructions say.

If the ammonia is not going any higher, but in fact is coming down, then the LR you have is fully cycled and you are just seeing a mini cycle from the addition of the fish.

How many fish did you add?
Normally you want to add no more than 1 - 2 fish at time and space the purchases about a month apart.

For now you should do an immediate 20% partial water change and recheck the ammonia 12 hours later (next day). Continue doing PWCs till you have a ZERO ammonia reading.

You should always run your tank a few days and check your water test results before adding any livestock to the tank. Never take your lfs word but take your test kits word whether it is cycled or not.

I only added two fish for a week. I brought my water into the store for them too test and they said it was perfect. I"m seeing a small algai bloom (brown) and its starting to look red and purple in some areas? They said this is good.

They instructed me to add in a cleaning crew. 5 snails and 10 hermit crabs. They are very tiny and its been fun watching them eat and move all around the tank.

Back
Top Bottom