Water Parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been having trouble keeping my Ph up for a few months now. When ever I test it, it is 8.0 or 8.1 and has not gone above that for a long time. Now I am having trouble keeping ALK up where I like it. It is between 2 and 2.5. CA is up at 480. All other parameters are fine, ammonia at 0, nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5, temp 80. Any suggestions on how to get Ph up to 8.3 and ALK up to 4-6? I am doing bi-weeklyish 15% water changes using Coralife salt. Is it time for a buffering addative or just time to try a new salt? Thanks!

you can use Pure Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) to increase PH but not Sodium Bi-Carbonate (suitable for freshwater only), however i would researh this first as i have not tested it and do not know the correct measurements.

I use Kent marine superbuffer. Stays around 8.4
Water changes will buffer your water some also

Lando,
have you tested your magnesium? Mg is usually kept at a good level with normal water changes. However if magnesium gets too low, it'll cause problems keeping calcium and alkalinity in balance...which sounds like that could be a piece of your problem.

I was going to suggest testing mag/strontium also. (mag should be 3x Ca). And with your Ca all the way up at 480 you might have problems getting your Alk up high enough. Try letting your Ca fall a bit, checking your mag and increasing your dosing of alk to see if you can't get it back in balance.

What does your saltwater test out at and what S/W are you using?

Thanks everyone. I will test my new batch of SW I am mixing now. I will also test Mg and let the CA fall a bit. I would like to try to stay away from using buffers if at all possible. I will see what this next water change does and go from there. SuperBuffer may be in my future.

I just tested my fresh batch of SW and here are parameters of the mix. I used Coralife salt.
NH3/NO2/NO3- 0
Ph- 8.1
ALK- 4.5meq/L
CA- 420ppm
PO4- 0.1ppm
Temp- 81F
Should I be woriied about a Ph of only 8.1 in a fresh batch of SW? It has been in dark.

That's a shocking amount of PO4, huh? *shudder* Your other numbers for the freshly mixed look good. If you did a series of 20% water change you'd probably be able to get your alk back in line. Otherwise buffering it should get it back into range. What ever happened to the Mg test?

I would strongly suggest testing the tanks Mg level as Malkore suggested. Low alk - high Ca is almost always caused from low Mg.

As for your pH level, 8.0-8.1 is not really a concern. Test your levels first thing in the AM and just before lights out to see what your total daily change is. This will tell you if it's a concern or not.

Do you drip kalk and do you have a refugium with macro's?

Cheers
Steve

That's a shocking amount of PO4, huh?
Ya, it is weird. I am using a Red Sea PO4 test kit and my tap water, RO/DI water and tank water all register at .1ppm with this test kit. Even after I changed all of the filters, DI resin and membrane in my RO/DI unit. This leads me to believe the test kit is not reliable.
I would strongly suggest testing the tanks Mg level as Malkore suggested
I will pick one up in the next couple of days.
Do you drip kalk and do you have a refugium with macro's?
No, no and no.
I will test Ph in the am and in the evening and let you know what the change is.

Ph in the morning is 8.0 and Ph in the evening is 8.1. I have a Mag. test kit (SeaChem) on order at the LFS and it should be here by Fri.

Not really something to be concerned about IME. If the pH is staying 8.0 or above even in the early AM, it's not a concern. Given your current alk level (4.25, very high BTW) it's not really probable this is a chemical issue anyway. I would however suggest reviewing your aeration and possible contributors to CO2.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I already go topless and have god surface aggitation via my Mag 7 from the sump. Other contributors to CO2?

Back
Top Bottom