Water Parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boykin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know where i can find instructions for the api saltwater test kit? I lost mine. Or the puppy took off with them...

*****Water Parameters and down two posting******

If you have the cards they are printed on the back of the cards as well.

Higher... Lower?

yeah well on the cal. it doesnt have a card its all in the book(at least on the one we have) BUT we found it :D and have got my testing done... so now will you please tell me how things are going and what could be higher/lower?

I've gotten most of everything down I just would like to have someone that knows a little more check it for me...

SG: 1.026
Ph: 8.2
Kh: 10*
0ppm: 0
Cal: 520

Thanks~
Amanda

That Ca looks pretty high. What about ammonia/nitrItes/nitrAtes? Are you planning on corals?

I agree with Scott.....that CA is too high....350-420 is a better range. You certainly need to test for ammoni, nitrites and nitrates!!

the ammonia/nitrItes/nitrAtes are all at 0, I have corals... and everythings fine.... I dont know how to get the cal. down I tried a water change and that didnt work really its a 20L gl and I know those are a little harder to keep stable... what can I do to get the cal. down? other then the water change.... I'm scared if I do another change it will mess everything else up.

I would retest the CA and if you get the same numbers take a sample of your water to your LFS and have them test it. CA can be tough to test sometimes especially if you have to add one drop at a time and compare color. If I'm not sure about a reading I always double check it and usually it is an error I made.

I agree with ziggy, take a sample of your tap/tank water to your LFS and see if they can confirm your readings.

ok thats sound good THANKS guys.... well I guess I'm going to go get ready and go up the the atlantis to see what they say... and then I will be back a little later today with the readings to let ya'll know whats up! thanks again for all the help.

~Amanda

Boykin said:
I'm scared if I do another change it will mess everything else up.

PWC`s will not mess up your tank. IMO the lack of will. Anytime parameters are off the BEST thing to do is a PWC in your tank. It`s almost like a reset button and will move your parameters where they need to be. PWC`s will dilute excessive nutrients, replenish trace elements, buffer SW and many other things that will benefit your tank. IMO and IME dont ever be scared of doing frequent PWC`s.

ok well I will have to do that later, MAN! I went out top get the LFS to test the water and started looking at fish and forgot! UGH! but I'm just going to do a PWC later and Retest then I will let you all know whats up.

Ok so I got my Cal. tested at the best LFS in this ATL area and Dan said that it was sittin at 480 and he said that was good.

He also said..... that you can never have to much cal. and once it reaches 600, it just leaves the tank.

Good to know.

Did you pick up a new test while you were out? I don't know if I agree with Dan but at least you know that your CA is at a good level!

no I didnt even think about picking up a new one... but as long as its fine now I'm cool with that I wont be add anything to the tank any time soon but I will get another one before to long

Back
Top Bottom