Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

water parameters help

Hey guys I'm having a lil trouble with my parameters my Ph is 8.0 ammonia is. 25 nitrites 0 nitrates 80 I've lost 3 fish due to ick. Can high nitrates contribute to ick. Also the levels where high due to really poor maintenance. I'm doing right now 50% pwc weakly to get nitrates down will this help to reduce ammonia also? I'm running a 30 gallon high Fowler with plans on going reef. Also dont know if it would help to know but running it with a aqueon hob filter with only polyfilter and two bags of chemipure

Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

High nitrates can cause fish to stress and then get sick yes. What kind of fish? How many are left? Keep up the PWC until you have 0 amm. Can you give a bit more detail about the tank? What's in it, how old it is? How did you treat the ich?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok the tank was a 55 it had 3 clown 1 chromis 1 YT 1powder brown tang which was the last one I put in and spreed ick and a French angel

The ones that died was YT powder brown and French now I switched everything to a 30 high 30 # live rock 20# live sand a small Skimmer cuz my big one broke impeller
I know the pwc will remove nitrates but will it lower ammonia also and the tank was running for a bout 1 and a half year
Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Forgot to write how was treating ick I was using ick attack by kordon
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some pics from when the French was alive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130524_014917.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	175626   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130524_014929.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	175627  

Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you had a 55g changed it to a 30 then the fish got ich? If that's the case then you may have started a mini cycle with the transfer or, either way both those tangs and the angel require larger tanks if they got stressed from the move or just being in small quarters they are prone to ich. Had you had the fish from the beginning? What type of filtration do you use? You may also want to invest in more rock (more rock = better filtration)
Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

This happend all in the 55 since all the large fish died and have small fish only I switched to a 30. I use for.filtration. a aqueon 55/75 hob filter rated for 400 gal an hour I use in it filter floss and two bags of.chemipure. and 30 # isn't enough for the tank. Even thou I.have 20.#. Of live sand?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok cool, that amount of rock is fine in the 30. If the transfer was recent I would still say amm from the move. Keep up the water changes (will reduce amm) how much/often you feeding? I am not a big fan of hob or canister filters as they can house nitrates if not cleaned often. Let us know how you are going in a week or so...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed every other day and only a lil bit almost to no food hits the bottom and if it does I have one hell of a clean up crew 9 hermit crabs and 2 Esmerald crabs also I clean my hob filter weekly
Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alot of people reading this is thinking the same thing but probably wont speak up. First off you stocked a 55 with fish that can not live in a 55 without stress. Your ammonia is at .25 due to large fish in a small environment, you say it was due to poor mainteance, a proper sized tank with the proper fish can go a long time without mainteance and not have an ammonia reading of .25. Ditch the hang on the back filter, if you are going to use one then it needs cleaned out every 2 or 3 days not once a week. You are treating ick with with ick attach, total waste of money and time. There are only 2 treatments for ick, hypo or copper and thats it the rest are snake oils. Going from a 55 to a 30 is only going to make your situation worst, more crowded tank and less water volume/dilution. And by crowded tank I mean less swim room/distance. I would go back to the 55, ditch the filter, and continue with water changes, ru using RODI? Slow dow, dont panic and just do the basic and stop adding fish until you have a stable tank with good parameters

Tags
meters, parameters, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com