Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to deathmatch782
water parameters ok for corals?

think my tank is finally done cycling
pH 8.2 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10 Ammonia .25
Going to do a partial water change today. Also getting a snail to take care of the slight algae buildup that has occured. I'm using 2-55W PC lights.
Wondering after my water change will my parameters be good for some starter corals??
tia

Old 09-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What method did you use to cycle the tank? I ask because if you have an Ammonia reading then you are not cycled yet. Your Ammonia and Nitrite need to both be zero before adding anything to the tank. Any detectable level of either of those is toxic to fish, inverts, and corals.

Do you have LR in the tank? If so, how much? How long have you been cycling the tank?

tripper

Old 09-30-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have heard many people on this site say that for a good shot at corals, your tank should be at least one year old. Maybe someone can confirm this. I would hate to see you lose money and coral at the same time. Also, I would definitely get the ammonia to 0.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That one year mark is normally the standard for anemones, corals can be added sooner. I agree that you shouldn't add anything, even a snail til the ammonia and nitrites are at 0. This is something you do not want to rush since it can cause you a good many headaches later on. Once there, then you can consider some corals. Personally though, I would wait til the tank is about 3mos old. This gives you time to get to know the needs of the tank, getting used to keeping the salinity and nitrate levels in check and on a good water change regimen.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are a number of hardy corals that you can introduce to the tank just after it has cycled. You could go with some shrooms, zoos, leathers, etc. But I would not add any of these until you have your parameters in check which also means Nitrates below 10ppm.

tripper
Old 09-30-2005, 05:31 PM   #6

I cycled w/ the fish method and its week 8 now. About ~30# LR 2 damsel 10 crabs and a snail are in my tank.
Nitirites are zero, Nitrate is 10 so that's fairly low, ammonia is the only thing im worried about.
A local guy was gonna help me setup some shrooms and zoo's. I've seen his setup and they look healthy, plus he's gonna sell them super cheap to me. But, I think I will wait until my ammonia lvl's are zero before i do anything w/ corals though.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

have you done any pwc since you have run your cycle?
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #8

i did my first one last week wed. 10% change
Old 09-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of test kit are you using? If it's the Aquarium Pharmacueticals master kit, the ammonia can sometimes be hard to read and looks like there is ammonia when there isn't. I would test your water again just to be sure, maybe have the lfs test it to double check your numbers.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #10

named the exact kit im using Aquarium Pharaceuticals Saltwater Master test kit
so the ammonia can show up as some in there, but may test otherwise on a different kit?

Tags
coral, corals, meters, parameters, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com