Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2003, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

water physics?

hello to all on this forum - this is my first posted question and hope someone out there has an answer or at least some insight to my perplexing scenario. I am in the midst of starting a refugium with a 29 gallon tank. I intend to transfer water from my main display 90 gal tank to the refugium and back to my sump tank or possibly back to the display tank. This would be a continous process for the purpose as an algae scrubber/ copepod/amphipod producing tank. My problem is that when I am trying to move water back and forth either with gravity and pump, pump/pump - i can not keep the water level balanced in the 29 gal - it will over flow if I do not stop the pump from the 90gal or even when using gravity from the 90 gal. Thank you for this opportunity.

Old 05-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

OK, let me get this straight. You are moving water from the 90 (main tank) to the 29 (fuge) to the sump, then back to the tank.

Gravity fed overflow from the 90 to the fuge, the fuge will require a hang-on overflow and it will have to be higher than the sump. For gravity to work properly, the 29 will have to be raised off the ground and IMO, the bottom of the 29 should be higher than the top of the sump. The water from the overflow on the 29 will be fed to the sump, which should pump the water from the sump to the 90. This is the only pump that should be working, and all overflows need to be rated to keep up with the output of the pump. Make sure there are no bubbles in the U/J tube of the overflows and you shouldn't have a problem.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Another solution might be to have the 29g drilled in the side. Elevate the 29 enough that the pipe you install in the drilled hole can dump into the sump. Route your tank water to the 29 where it will flow through and dump into the sump. I realize this is a more involved method, and certainly will incur some expense, but it's pretty much foolproof as far as keeping the tank from running over. If you decide to do it that way, I would have a large enough hole drilled to use at least 1 1/2" pipe coming out of the fuge and into the sump. Alternately, if you didn't want to elevate the 29, you could have both it and the sump drilled and just run the pipe between them. Just a thought. Another possibility is to use a powerhead in the sump to pump water to the fuge and let it overflow back into the sump in the vicinity of the main pump intake.
Logan J

Tags
water ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com