Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
water problem?

First off I have a 55 gal, 2 clowns,foxface, engineer goby, lawnmower blenny. 100 gal canister filter 60 gal hang on the back filter a seaclone protein skimmer and an 8 bulb t5 light fixture. I have had the tank since last may and i only recently added the protein skimmer (2 weeks ago). since then I have had a serpent start and pistol shrimp die. three snails pretty much gave up on life lol ( they were upside down on the sand and even when held back against the glass they just wouldnt grab onto it......they died).My feather duster also starting to look like a wilting plant until the head went down to little nubs and I am having an outbreak of brown stuff (not algea but maybe diatoms). Is this from the dramatic increase in disolved oxygen making an outbreak of something that the invert didnt like or maybe my tap water I am using has copper and it just took this long for it to become toxic. the water is super cloudy and I did a water change last week and changed the carbon. I am thinking that I should start over from scratch and clean everything really good and cure the live rock and live sand again and use water that the pet store discards? any and i mean any advice would be appreciated

jth3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Cloudy water normally implies bacteria bloom. What are your current ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? Have you been watching ammonia levels over the last few weeks, or have you recently introduced several new fish that could've caused a mini cycle?

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
It almost sounds like your tank is cycling. Did you cycle it before you added livestock. Tap water is not perferable. Read this.

melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com