water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to pump water from a container to my tank for water changes...what would be a good pump to do this?

I use a Maxi Jet 1200 PH for this task. It moves water fairly quickly, it's cheap, and it will last a very long time. A piece of 1/2 CPVC, if you bevel the inside slightly with a knife, will make a tight fit on the output of the MJ1200. 1/2id flex tubing fits the 1/2 CPVC tightly. It works well for me anyway.

What quantities, how far, how much head will the pump need?
For a 20g container beside the tank with about 5 1/2 ft of head, I just use a Hagen 802 power head.
To go a distance and more head, will probably require a pump, the size to be determined by the first question above.
For MOST hobbyists, just about any kind of transfer pump will work, and, even if it's not meant for salt water, a thorough rinse afterwards in fresh water should suffice. A pump made to handle salt water will cost more, and would definitely be required for full time use.

Maxi jets work well but they are a little slow if you want to move water for a water changer or something. A rio 1400 will give you 375 GPH and work well for what you want to do.Plus it has a litle more power to move the water and overcome head pressure This is the pump i use for water changes.

Shoot, I use a penguin 550 powerhead. It's not very fast, but it's steady and it doesn't disturbe my fish too much. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom