Water Pumps and Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
2 questions for all you this time... :)

1. I have a Mag 5 pump in my sump, works great. However, it's a bit loud. Is there anything better/quieter out there that works as well?

2. I am using braided PVC house out my of Mag 5 back to the barbed bulk head... It's not the most flexable stuff out there, is there something better that has some more "flex" to it ?

Question 1 could be related to question 2, as the braided PVC hose does not allow the Mag 5 to sit on the bottom of the sump the way I would like it to (I might be hearing a vibration and not the pump?)

Thanks

1) Mag Drive pumps are pretty quiet for submersibles. How old is your pump? If it has some age on it, I'd suggest replacing the impeller and front housing. That will usually quiet them down some.
2) You can use the clear vinyl hose too. It's not quite as stiff as the braided stuff.

2) You can use the clear vinyl hose too. It's not quite as stiff as the braided stuff.
Do you think the clean vinyl will hold up? I'm not sure what type of preasure the Mag pump is pushing, that's why I went braided.

My only other thought was using the plastic flex (pool/spa) stuff?

The Mag 5 is brand new... it am really thinking it's just the vibration of the pump since it's not sitting level on the bottom of the sump/tank.

Put a filter pad under the pump and see if that helps. I use vinyl tubing on my mag7. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom