Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water quality advice

Had a bunch of different corals in my 55g and they were all going great. Mostly SPS, I had green star polyps that I bought and they were the size of a quarter and they grew to cover a 5"x5" area and now they are all completely dead and have fallen off the rock. All of my zoas are also dead, but my coralline algae is covering everything and my I have next to no algae!
I had gotten into a fight with the gf and moved out for 6 months. She did not do a single water change. All she did was turn the lights on and off and feed the fish and add fresh water if needed. Well, I moved back in and did a 10g water change. Waited 4 days and just got my water tested and they were all at "0.0". My frogspawn once neon green is now dark brown but opening up bigger now with the water change.
Should I do another water change now? Or wait?

Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Did all the sps die? Did you check calcium, alkalinity and magnesium?

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like water changes to me. This will combat what I'd see as 2 possible issues.
One of this would be the build up of nutrients, which is pretty straight forward.
Second would be such like alkalinity. In my 55, my sps did well and my polyps began to decline. After some testing it turned out that my alk was out of whack. I did water changes and did some dosing of alk to get it back where it needed to be and things returned t normal. You don't need to dose, as water changes will solve the issue. This was just a step I took as I've struggled with alk before in the history of this setup.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had green leathers, finger leathers, GSP, mushrooms, a frog spawn and various zoa's. The only things still alive are the mushrooms, finger leathers and frogspawn. The frog spawn has tripled the size when open with the water change. I don't know any of my other levels. I only know ph, phosphates, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and they are all at 0.0. Should I do another 10 gallon water change now? Or wait?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good chunk of softies. They'll absorb alk and leave the calcium and possibly cause an imbalance. Another water change.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'll do another 10 gallon change. Thank you.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com