Water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought my own RO/DI system, so I can stop making those annoying trips to the store for water.

Water tests out ok. No phosphates, no ammonia, and 0 TDS. However, I did a pwc of about 9 gallons last week before i went out of the country and the wife has been using the new RO/DI water for tops off and notice that I'm getting green Algae on the glass a heck of a lot quicker then I normally do? Any ideas?

Now I did go out of town for a week and just cleaned the glass of the algae on tussah evening....by tonight I had to wipe it again?

Anyone think it has anything to do with the water or maybe it's just time to change the chemi-pure elite?? It's been about 9 weeks since I put that in.

Thanks!

First off, what are your water parameters? I doubt the rodi water is causing the algae issues. IME chemi-pure lasts about 2 months.

Water parameters are as follows:

1.024 sal
Trates 5
Trites. 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2
Temp 79
Phosphates .25

I'm thinking you might be right about the chemi pure elite bc it's been just over 2 months and now I'm getting phosphate readings.

I feed mysis every other day with algae sheets on off days, so I don't feed much.

If you run your RO DI all the time and it is using auto shut off it may be "TDS creep". Look into that. It may happen even if system shut Off too. When I first turn on my system I run good water into drain for few min. I watch my tds and it jumps Upto 20 or 30 sometimes. After few min if is back down to 2 or 3ppm.

kay-bee19 said:
Is that elevated TDS-reading after the membrane or after the DI-stage?

It is after the membrane. RO water only. DI should always read 0. If it doesn't then DI canister should be replaced. If RO had high tds it will kill your DI a lot faster.

Mpfaff77 said:
If you run your RO DI all the time and it is using auto shut off it may be "TDS creep". Look into that. It may happen even if system shut Off too. When I first turn on my system I run good water into drain for few min. I watch my tds and it jumps Upto 20 or 30 sometimes. After few min if is back down to 2 or 3ppm.

Thanks for the suggestion buddy. I'll check my TDS meter tonight when I run it for my 10g weekly pwc.

I hope that's not the case since this 6stage unit is literally 1.5 weeks old!

I've ordered more chemi pure elite so I should have that next week to swap that out. I really think thats the issue. Hope anyway

It had nothing to do with age of filters or unit. When pressure builds the nutrients can build and when turn on system and lets out first burst of water it can have excess tds. Nothing to do with bad system or age of system. Everyone can have tds creep. Google it.

Back
Top Bottom