Water Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay...I'm about to fill my tank for my live rock addition...

So.. I am mixing 90+ gallons of filtered water...adding the conditioner..

Now... do I add the salt or the buffer first? (after reaching temperature of course)

Add the salt first, then add the buffer if needed. Do not add buffer for 24hrs after mixing the salt, then test and add if necessary. To determine what your alk should be, you'll have to know what the CA is.

If you're using RO/DI water, I doubt you will need anything other than the salt in the initial mix. I never add any buffer to mine and everything is perfect after it mixes up.
Logan J

I use a PUR water filter.... And NovAqua? conditioner....

I filled it last night....and added the Instant Ocean ... I just got my PH tester today....

Do you think more highly of the Seatest or the Deep Six?

I think they are about equal. I'd have it checked against something that you know is accurate though. That way, if your hydrometer is off a little, you will know what the correction factor is.
Logan J

I have both the Seatest and the Deep Six. I used them both and rinsed them in fresh water after each use. When I tested them against each other I started to notice differences. If I ran several tests in a row I also noticed some differences. I ended up getting a refractometer ($50 at diyreef). I trust that but still check it weekly, both against RO/DI (0ppt) and against the supplied calibration solution (30ppt).

Cmor

Back
Top Bottom