Water source for refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trailermann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
which is better for the refugium inlet? Water direct from the display tank overflow (split between the sump filter and skimmer section) or water teed off/diverted from the return pump? One has more nutrients and the other is cleaner with less detritus.

How about some of both?

which is better for the refugium inlet? Water direct from the display tank overflow (split between the sump filter and skimmer section) or water teed off/diverted from the return pump? One has more nutrients and the other is cleaner with less detritus.

How about some of both?

don't understand the question. the water will all be mixed again. usually people have a fuge in their sump. can you restate your question im kind of lost

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How about some of both?

It sounds like you are having a separate refugium in another container beside your sump setup? The best bet for this would to have your pump for it coming from the skimmer section.
This will avoid causing issues with the water flow back into the display and allow the refugium to get as much of the nutrients in the water column as possible.

I agree if that is what you were talking about. I actually have three acrylic tanks under my 240. Not my first choice, but I used what I had available. First tank is water coming from the tank overflow (lots of wasted/empty space in this tank)... Water then enters the second tank that holds my skimmer...water then enters the third tank which is about 75% refugium (live rock+Chaeto) and then the return pump. All are connected with bulkheads and PVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Skimmer before the refugium. One of the functions of a refugium is to be a place free of predation where pods can grow to supply the DT. I suggest having as little for them to navigate through to get to the display as possible.
It makes sense to have the skimmer fed by the display....where all the D.O.C's are coming from in the first place.

Heck, and I thought I was so clear. My sump has the filter and skimmer on the left and the refugium on the right. Return section in the middle fed from both sides. So I can have two different flow rates (high flow with skimmer, and low flow with fuge). With this set up, I can "feed" the fuge with nutrient rich water from the overflow (diverted before the filter sock), or divert some of the filtered and skimmed water from the return pump. Does it matter?

The water is nutrient rich before or after the filter sock, it's just lost it's large particulate matter after the sock. I would not want the stuff that the filter sock collects to empty into the refugium.

Sump? My sump is just an extra container of water. If you are referring to the refugium, algae does not need skimmer cups full of waste in order to grow. It will do just about the same before or after the skimmer. The skimmer slowly removes dissolved organics over time, and does not perfectly clean every drop of water it has access to.

Your argument is far from what the OP is asking. To answer directly the OPs question, you will be defeating your sump/fuge design and purpose if you change the configuration or redirecting the water flow. Just a note, aside from algae soon you will have cucs on your fuge.

Back
Top Bottom