Water temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I just got the montipora cap I bought on ebay. It was shipped overnite from Ohio...I live in PA. I paid extra to have heat packs included, but there were NONE. As soon as I opened the box and picked up the bag I knew I was in trouble. The water in the bag was 56 degrees. I am slowly drip acclimating it now. What do you all think? Is the amount of time it was in 56 degree water fatal? It's only been an hour now, but my hopes aren't very high. :cry:

Hard to say how long it was at that temp, but assuming he took it to the FexEd place at maybe 4 PM for the last pick up and I recieved it about 11 AM, I would take a guess it had to be at least 8 hrs.

I e-mailed him the minute I opened the bag and took the water temp. He said "sorry about not putting in the heat pack" and to let him know if it survives.

I'll try to get a pic of it later when I put it in my tank. Right now I don't see any bleaching, just looks likes there's a little clear stringy mucous coming off it.

Well this doesn't look good at all, but I can't say I'm surpised. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy I bought it from and see what he is going to do.

monti-4_14.jpg

ummm ya i think that is gone. is the flesh just retracting back ot falling off. if it is falling off then i think it would be dead.

Anyone interested in a nice monti cap? LOL

monti-4_14b.jpg

The guy seems real sincere and is going to send me another one, hopefully with a heat pack this time.

ummm ya i think that is gone.

Don't count it out!!! Monty caps are wimpy, yet resilient!!! It can come back. If the bleaching continues (it does not liok like RTM to me, I would frag a couple of edges with decent color, and see if you can't grow it out.

Apparently there was an update while I was typing, <groan> yeah, not much hope left. If your willing to pay shipping, I can have you a frag in a few weeks, or I can put you in touch with somone on New England (not as far to travel, shipping might be cheaper) that I know packs corals well, that probably has some cap frags, maybe other flavors than orange...PM me if you want me to contact her.

Thanks for the offer. I will keep that in mind. :)

The guy I got this one from is going to send me another one..no charge, which I feel is only right because it was his fault the 1st one died. I paid for heat packs and he didn't include them.

I'll keep you updated on part 2 of my saga.

UPDATE:
The guy I bought the monti cap from on ebay was great to deal with. He shipped me TWO replacement frags at no charge. This time they came double bagged with a heat pack. What a difference. These came and where bright orange and very healthy looking, compared to the 1st one which was a dull orange when I opened the bag. He may have taken a loss on this deal, but he made me a very satisfied customer. :D

Back
Top Bottom