Water Temp 93 Degrees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machzrt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sunday morning the air quit working, I was at the lake with the kids so my wife decided to open all of the windows, the outdoor temp got to 96 that day. I never thought about my fish tank :x When I got home at 8pm, water temp was 93, my two frogspawns and one bicolored hammer coral were totally gone, just the skeleton left, slowly added ice, and obviously got the air fixed, but some corals are questionable to whether they will live or not, leaters, bubbles etc. The temp is now down to 81. should we do a massive water change? Anything else I need to do.

Get a fan...or a few. I wouldnt do a MASSIVE change as a sudden change in temp can shock your livestock...not that they arent already in shock from being cooked alive...

Bummer.

A fan can easily bring 81 down a few degrees into the green zone.

marc118

What kind of fans do you recommend. I have a 75 with a canopy that sits about 12 inches above the tank. Are the fans to face the back of the tank to remove heat from the lights or blow over the water?

I just use a box fan pointed towards my tank. My lights ar about 3" off the top of my tank and I find the fan to work well.

I use a small 6 inch round fan from wal mart pointing down on the water of my 75 and get around a 4 degree temp drop. The only drawback is replacing about 1 1/2 gal of water every dab, but they say the evaporation is what cools.
hth
Mike

93 8O 8O

81 is not bad, any fan will help and if it gets too hot shut off the lights to help control heat. If you have a sump get a small fan and have it blow across the sump and have another on the tank. fan blowing across the water surface cause evaporation which = a cooler tank.
Water changes would be a good idea and running some carbon would not hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom