Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

What are you using to check the temperature? Seems faulty to me, but then again I haven't browsed the entire thread.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmpj2
The Eheim 2215 Canister Filter is supposed to have an output of 164 gph. We have never felt we get anywhere near that. The pressure on the drip bar is just little more than a dribble.

We have never been happy with this canister filter from the day we got it. I think our live rock does most of our filtering.
Well... if you've unplugged your UV and you're still having problems, it pretty much has to be the Eheim, doesn't it? With no heaters, and just a couple powerheads and lighting isn't going to raise your temp 27 deg F over room temp. Makes sense since you say the water barely dribbles out of the cannister.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmpj2
The Eheim 2215 Canister Filter is supposed to have an output of 164 gph. We have never felt we get anywhere near that. The pressure on the drip bar is just little more than a dribble.

We have never been happy with this canister filter from the day we got it. I think our live rock does most of our filtering.
Well... if you've unplugged your UV and you're still having problems, it pretty much has to be the Eheim, doesn't it? With no heaters, and just a couple powerheads and lighting isn't going to raise your temp 27 deg F over room temp. Makes sense since you say the water barely dribbles out of the cannister.
If this is true, then your motor might be burning up if it's just dribbling. Check for blockages. I'll stop here since I haven't kept up with this thread :s
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question:
If the culprit is our Eheim Canister Filter, would we feel heat from the casing? I put my hand on it and it is cool. If it was overheated would I be able to feel it from the outside?

Any suggestions on a new filter?

DJ
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, with 75 lbs of live rock in a 54g, I'd just ditch the cannister for a while and see if that helps. You mentioned earlier that you're not sure how much it helps you with your biological filtration anyway. And looking at your stock list, you don't really have a huge bioload. Just make sure you have enough circulation once you remove that source of flow.

I agree that if it was the Eheim, then the casing should be warm. But then again, if it's the culprit then it has found its equilibrium with your tank water and should be more or less the same temp as your tank.

The heat has to come from somewhere. If you haven't had the heaters plugged in, or the UV plugged in, then it's either coming from your Eheim, your powerheads, or your skimmer. I'm assuming your skimmer is working fine, so it's probably not that. Are all your Maxijet's working? Occassionaly, in my salt water mix tub, a MaxiJet will get crudded up and stall. I know it happens because I can't hear the hum anymore, AND the water temp is about 2 degrees higher than normal. I can't imagine that's your problem because you're talking a 20+ degree difference. That's a lot of Watts and the biggest power consumer I see in your tank right now is that Eheim.

Tags
water temp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com