Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water Temp Question/Concern

Hi all.

I am new to my saltwater tank, only a month in. I live in NJ and yesterday it got up to the 80's with a cool breeze. My house got around 81 degrees but it was still pleasent and comfortable.

I noticed my tank temp got to 86 degrees! Of course I paniced and we left the lid open, put the cooling fan on but none of these things helped. We put the air conditioning on at night and now the water temp is between 78-80 degrees.

We normally run the air in the summer but not everyday. When there is a breeze we don't run i.
  • Can the fish tollerabe 84-86 degrees? (for how long?)
  • Do I need a chiller in these short circumstances?
  • Is this normal?
Thanks and Happy Memorial Day!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

86 is about the uper range for fish and only for short periods. Temperature swings are the problem. You really want the tank to maintain a stable termperature (within 2 degrees).

I noticed you said you opened the lid. Do you have a glass cover on the tank? Removing it will help keep the pH stable as well as the tank temp. You should remove it. If you have jumpers consider using a screen material, or some netting.

Normally a fan blowing across the top can reduce the temp a couple of degrees.

I'm trying to understand why the tank would rise above the house temperature. That only makes sense with a glass top and submersible pumps that would heat the water.

If this is going to be a regular occurance I would suggest a chiller to maintain a stable tank temp. First try the fan across the tank top to see how much that helps. It;s gonna be warm again today, though I suspect you are right at the shore as it was considerably warmer inland.

I need to move back to the bay <lol>

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #3

I have a Red Sea tank with an enclosed lid. There is a fan that cools the lid down. here is the link/photo so you can see a picture of it.
Amazon.com: Red Sea Max NEW 130D 34 Gallon Complete Reef System…
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

86 is really too high. As mentioned earlier temp swings are the big concern. You want your temps to be as stable as possible. Somehow you`ll need to open that top and maybe put a clip on fan to blow across the surface. That will keep it anound 81 or 82.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #5

I have been running the air conditioning and now its between 78-80. My husband is all up in arms if we always have to keep the air conditioning on. I have the fan on now and will keep it running so see how the week goes.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Honestly, an aquarium chiller would probably do you some good. Especially running the a.c. all the time, and with the possibility of temp swings. Keeping the tops open with a fan could work too, but if it is b/w a.c. on all the time and a chiller...i would definitely go with a chiller, especially with a reef tank.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

If the fan can't keep the temp stable you really need to get the chiller. Having lived on the bay for many years I know the breeze can you keep you cool, but it would be much too warm for the fish. That top does not allow you to keep it open, correct? Get a chiller.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Yes I can open the top so I might do that on non-AC days.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Good. Open the top and have a fan blow across the top. That should help. If it doesn't, then a chiller should be your next purchase
Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I agree. Tradewind Chillers are my favorite.

Tags
water temp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com