Water Temp Question/Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquanGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.

I am new to my saltwater tank, only a month in. I live in NJ and yesterday it got up to the 80's with a cool breeze. My house got around 81 degrees but it was still pleasent and comfortable.

I noticed my tank temp got to 86 degrees! Of course I paniced and we left the lid open, put the cooling fan on but none of these things helped. We put the air conditioning on at night and now the water temp is between 78-80 degrees.

We normally run the air in the summer but not everyday. When there is a breeze we don't run i.

• Can the fish tollerabe 84-86 degrees? (for how long?)
  • Do I need a chiller in these short circumstances?
  • Is this normal?
Thanks and Happy Memorial Day! :rolleyes:

86 is about the uper range for fish and only for short periods. Temperature swings are the problem. You really want the tank to maintain a stable termperature (within 2 degrees).

I noticed you said you opened the lid. Do you have a glass cover on the tank? Removing it will help keep the pH stable as well as the tank temp. You should remove it. If you have jumpers consider using a screen material, or some netting.

Normally a fan blowing across the top can reduce the temp a couple of degrees.

I'm trying to understand why the tank would rise above the house temperature. That only makes sense with a glass top and submersible pumps that would heat the water.

If this is going to be a regular occurance I would suggest a chiller to maintain a stable tank temp. First try the fan across the tank top to see how much that helps. It;s gonna be warm again today, though I suspect you are right at the shore as it was considerably warmer inland.

I need to move back to the bay <lol>

I have a Red Sea tank with an enclosed lid. There is a fan that cools the lid down. here is the link/photo so you can see a picture of it.
Amazon.com: Red Sea Max NEW 130D 34 Gallon Complete Reef System&#133;
3192fSveqwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

86 is really too high. As mentioned earlier temp swings are the big concern. You want your temps to be as stable as possible. Somehow you`ll need to open that top and maybe put a clip on fan to blow across the surface. That will keep it anound 81 or 82.

I have been running the air conditioning and now its between 78-80. My husband is all up in arms if we always have to keep the air conditioning on. I have the fan on now and will keep it running so see how the week goes.

Honestly, an aquarium chiller would probably do you some good. Especially running the a.c. all the time, and with the possibility of temp swings. Keeping the tops open with a fan could work too, but if it is b/w a.c. on all the time and a chiller...i would definitely go with a chiller, especially with a reef tank.

If the fan can't keep the temp stable you really need to get the chiller. Having lived on the bay for many years I know the breeze can you keep you cool, but it would be much too warm for the fish. That top does not allow you to keep it open, correct? Get a chiller.

Good. Open the top and have a fan blow across the top. That should help. If it doesn't, then a chiller should be your next purchase ;)

Back
Top Bottom