Water tempature.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasoncwrd2002

Aquarium Advice Freak
So yesterday when I got home my water temp on tank was at 88. Was trying to lower electric bill by not running AC all day. Well that didnt work out to we'll so ran AC today and its at 82. Any tips on keeping temp down? I've had a fan running on it facing the tank for awhile now but that didn't help yesterday

is the top enclosed ?
open it up let it breath you can even run a small fan into tank if needed

Maybe, but doubtful. Just understand that it will get hot out and you'll have to do something about the heat. Last summer I had to run the AC all day to keep my tank temp under control, and I live in PA not FL. This is the time of year when we see a rising number of these issues, if it is 90+ outside then it gets hard to keep temps down without some type of cooling. A fan blowing on the surface of the tank can help, but only so much.

55g with live rock. One power head in tank and one in sump. T5HO lighting. Which was off all day yesterday.
Anything that consumes electrical power radiates heat. I presume your tank is fish only with live rock since you have not mentioned skimmer or stuff for corals. Try to create more water surface movement. May be you can put the other ph from sump to DT or you can use smaller ph to reduce heat. If light in canopy is elevated from tank you can remove the lid. Fish will not jump unless they are suddenly disturbed. Ventilation on surface will help and of course your tank will always be a little higher than your room temp.

Yea got a skimmer also. And lights are mounted onto canopy. Gonna check temp today whenever I get home and if high tomorrow will try lifting canopy and lids off

Just a heads up, clowns can be jumpers. I lost two of them before I added a mesh top to prevent any mores suicides in the future. Just something to think about.

If you really have a hard time keeping the temp down you may need a chiller. Certainly not the least expensive option, but it would add more stability to your system, which is pretty key to successful reefs.

If skimmer is submerged or pump in contact with water, have it run at night only when it gets cooler. It is to cut down even just a little on temp during day time. No need if it is a hang on type.

Back
Top Bottom