Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water Temperature

Is the water temperarure too high if it is running on 30 degrees C for my reef fish. I am just wondering wheather I must buy a Chiller or not. Can anyone give me info on this ? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

If my math is correct that's about 86 F which is a bit warmer than recommended. I keep my tank between 78 and 80 throughout the day. I think fish and coral can handle a pretty wide range, the just don't handle changes (big swings) very well. Good luck.

125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Hi EVM.
Thank you for the information. I think I must invest in a chiller then.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Probably a good idea, never used a chiller but be sure you lower the temp gradually.
125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #5

Thanks Mate. I will do so.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The higher the temp the less oxygen the water will hold. You'll do your fish a favor lowering the temp. I also run mine around 78-80.

You might not have to spend all that money on a chiller. If your using glass tops you could remove them and see how much that brings it down. Also a fan blowing across the top of the tank or sump will help lower your temp.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
The higher the temp the less oxygen the water will hold. You'll do your fish a favor lowering the temp. I also run mine around 78-80.

You might not have to spend all that money on a chiller. If your using glass tops you could remove them and see how much that brings it down. Also a fan blowing across the top of the tank or sump will help lower your temp.
Hi Balincrew10
Thanks for the advise. Yes,I do have a glass top on top of the fish tank. I will remove it an see how it go. I have a bigger problem now. The amonia level is too high after I tested the water.What is the best meathod to lower the amonia level? Can I do a 50 persent water change?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well that depends if your tank has cycled and if there are fish in the tank. If you have fish in the tank then yes do a water changed. If its currently cycling with no fish then no let it be.

Though, if you have fish and completed the cycle there should be no ammonia unless something big died in the tank.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #9

Yes,the tank has cycled for 4 weeks and there are expensive fish in the tank.everything was OK till yesterday. There was white spot on some of the fish a week ago and I put pimafix in the water on Tuesday. I am just wondering if the medicine killed the bacteria or not. I am unsure.The amonia reading is high but I cant see any side effects on the fish on this stage. The amonia reading is 1.0 I put Ammo lock in the water this afternoon but I still get the reading on 1.0. Is it too high?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any ammonia reading is high. It should be 0. Ammo lock does just that, it doesn't remove it from the system. I would do your water change asap. I'm wondering how exactly you cycled the tank if after 4 weeks you're getting a reading. Or maybe you cycled and added all your fish at once. Just thinking out loud.

Tags
temperature, water temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com