Water Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koosdelange

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is the water temperarure too high if it is running on 30 degrees C for my reef fish. I am just wondering wheather I must buy a Chiller or not. Can anyone give me info on this ? Thanks.

If my math is correct that's about 86 F which is a bit warmer than recommended. I keep my tank between 78 and 80 throughout the day. I think fish and coral can handle a pretty wide range, the just don't handle changes (big swings) very well. Good luck.

Probably a good idea, never used a chiller but be sure you lower the temp gradually.

The higher the temp the less oxygen the water will hold. You'll do your fish a favor lowering the temp. I also run mine around 78-80.

You might not have to spend all that money on a chiller. If your using glass tops you could remove them and see how much that brings it down. Also a fan blowing across the top of the tank or sump will help lower your temp.

The higher the temp the less oxygen the water will hold. You'll do your fish a favor lowering the temp. I also run mine around 78-80.

You might not have to spend all that money on a chiller. If your using glass tops you could remove them and see how much that brings it down. Also a fan blowing across the top of the tank or sump will help lower your temp.

Hi Balincrew10
Thanks for the advise. Yes,I do have a glass top on top of the fish tank. I will remove it an see how it go. I have a bigger problem now. The amonia level is too high after I tested the water.What is the best meathod to lower the amonia level? Can I do a 50 persent water change?

Well that depends if your tank has cycled and if there are fish in the tank. If you have fish in the tank then yes do a water changed. If its currently cycling with no fish then no let it be.

Though, if you have fish and completed the cycle there should be no ammonia unless something big died in the tank.

Yes,the tank has cycled for 4 weeks and there are expensive fish in the tank.everything was OK till yesterday. There was white spot on some of the fish a week ago and I put pimafix in the water on Tuesday. I am just wondering if the medicine killed the bacteria or not. I am unsure.The amonia reading is high but I cant see any side effects on the fish on this stage. The amonia reading is 1.0 I put Ammo lock in the water this afternoon but I still get the reading on 1.0. Is it too high?

Any ammonia reading is high. It should be 0. Ammo lock does just that, it doesn't remove it from the system. I would do your water change asap. I'm wondering how exactly you cycled the tank if after 4 weeks you're getting a reading. Or maybe you cycled and added all your fish at once. Just thinking out loud.

No,I did not add all fish in one go. I started with cheap fish at first and tested the water after that and it was OK. So I add more fish after that in a one week period. I think I am going to do a water change immediately and I will keep you up to date. Thanks for your advise mate,you are very helpfull.I also think I have too many fish for a 4 week old tank and I should have cycled for a longer period before adding any fish.
My setup is OK.I have a sump with UV and bio balls and that works fine.

I think you're right. I think you might have added more fish before the cycle was fully complete. Just keep testing and doing water changes as necessary. Good luck.

One thing I've heard 100 times in the past weeks is saltwater tanks time and patiences. Go slow take your time a beautiful tank takes some time to set up.

Back
Top Bottom