Water temperture rise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithcinema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I I changed my filter system Sunday from a wetdry to a sump with a filter sock and I added a swc 160 protine skimmer in the sump the new sump has double the capacity of the old wetdry !!! Yesterday I open the cabinet and it was humid and warm in there there is no cover on the sump due to all the lines and sock and skimmer but my tank is allways at 79.9 now it was 81.6 and it's winter did the skimmer pump add all that extra heat in there ???? What should I do to lower the temp

Last night left cabinet door open and temp went back to 79 !!! Room has a odor now with skimmer thinking of ditching the skimmer and going back to a wet dry with no issues !!!

The skimmer pump shouldn't add any heat. Is it fully submerged? Do you have any air ventilation in there?

It's 8 1/2 inches in the sump with only a 4x4 square cut out in back of cabinet for ventilation tanks been running for 6 months at 79 and no smells with the wet dry and now added skimmer and it's 81.6 and humid under there now with a odor !!! I think the odor is skim mate the cup is ventilated

certainly odd
81.6 is nothing to worry too hard about though
have you thought about adding another vent hole?

The odd thing is the sump has about 3 gal more of water than the wetdry and no cover the wetdry had a lid !!!

Does seem kinda odd. But that's not a very big temp swing. What kinda heater and/or temp control do you have. If it continues to be a problem throw a small fan in the cabinet. How often do u clean your cup? If that continues to be a problem get a small carbon air filter, that would also provide airflow and cooling. I've never heard of anyone doing that, but that's what I would do.

You should actually feel your pump and see if it is really warm. Could be malfunctioning. The water should cool the pump sufficiently.

Heat issue just worsened when I went home Friday tank was 82.5 do I took action eliminated 1 pump the maxi jet 1200 that feed my reactors , I cut a tee into my return pump and feed the reactors that way cut down on noise (maxi jets are LOUD) and heat dropped 1.6 degrees so now its hanging around 80 so I'm happy

How big is your tank? Like 5 gallons? Do you really think a maxijet is making much of a difference. It's more likely the temp and/or humidity of the room. I mean it's cool to eliminate a pump. But just throw a fan over your sump already.

Removed maxi jet dropped 1.6 degrees for 4 days now every little bit helps have u ever felt how hot a cheap pump gets ????my lights produce no heat at all full led , 4- korila wave makers, big skimmer pump for the swc160 and my ehiem return pump and a fluval g6 and a oversized uv sterilizer no heater needed when u are running so many pumps !! Do not want to do a fan on sump because I want minimal evaporation !!! Tanks only 90 gal with 120 lbs of live rock water volume is probably like 60 gal . Besides the heat issue tank runs great 0 everything on water quality and crystal clear , don't want to get involved with a chiller, I hear to many nightmare story's about them !! My tank has to run itself untouched or looked at for 10 days straight 7 times a year

Back
Top Bottom