Water Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumAddiction

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to buy a kit and I am confused by what I will need. Should I go with a master kit or should I go with individual kit.

I am starting a small fish/reef tank with fish, coral, invert mix - 10 gallon. I can rely on fish store for ammonia test but want to be prepared with what I will need to have a usccessful tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Everyone on this forum seems to like the master test kit from API the most I find it very useful and well worth the money

I moved over to Red Sea, as I'm starting to learn that API wasnt as accurate as my friends digital testers we used... they where actually pretty different! I just picked up the Red Sea master kit, and will be going back after Pay Day to pick up some more tests.

I am following and interested in this thread. I have been testing with API. I thought most said that Salifert was more accurate. I tested with both last night. API said my nitrates were at 20 and Salifert said 5. Crazy!

API is horrible, expensive but worth it digital is the way to go

Patrick, are you saying that API is Horrible, and digital is expensive but the way to go? the lack of punctuation kind of throws me off. Not trying to be mean or a grammar Nazi, i just want to make sure i understand.

Hey Evilbass, a little input.
API tests are not very accurate, probably one of the reasons that they are cheaper.
Red Sea tests are a little better, and Salifert are better than that.
Digital are probably better than most drip tests, but are usually the most expensive. There are also differences in the digitals as well. With test kits cost does usually dictate accuracy.
Hope this helps!

Evilbass said:
Patrick, are you saying that API is Horrible, and digital is expensive but the way to go? the lack of punctuation kind of throws me off. Not trying to be mean or a grammar Nazi, i just want to make sure i understand.

Yeah long term it's better and having a lot of tanks plus I go out to take care of other tanks which makes the digital tests awesome, fast and most important accurate

API test kits are not accurate, in my opinion there are only two that I trust Salifert and after trying the new Red Sea Kits I like them better and they are cheaper than Salifert cause you can buy refills

Evilbass said:
awesome! I'll start looking into some digital testing equipment.

You won't regret it, so much better then manual testing

Now a tricky question, can you use a freshwater test kit on saltwater. For example, my son has a API FW kit and I was wondering how accurate it would be to test ammonia or nitrates.

I use the API Master test kit...I'm 7mos into the hobby now and that's all I've used for testing. You guys have raised my brow!!! Now I want to try the others mentioned here. I've had a nitrate problem (according to API). It's not been too high ~20ppm. Now I'm wondering if it's really been that high?!?!?!?! Huh...wonder what causes these tests to be so "off" with one another??? I'll post my results whenever I'm able to purchase the other tests. This could be cool!!! :))

Yes i been using API for years just because i have a hookup and i get the kits cheap as dirt. They work but dont trust them. If i get a reading back that seems strange or not quite what i was expecting i recheck and then recheck with salifert kit. Ive seen some pretty crazy differences between the 2. The API color charts just have shades that match too closely and the jumps in reading are too much for example nitrates 0,5,10,20,40,80,160 the 0-20 range is the hardest to read and the most used so error is rampant.

The Master Reef kit has less problems but still inaccurate many times. I often use the API kits for regular testing and the salifert kits for monthly checking and ckecks on abnormal reading. Allows you to be accurate and save money.

Back
Top Bottom