Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
Water Testing kits. Too Many to chose from.

I Recently Purchased a Red Sea test kit. I always used to have my water tested at Petco But I decided to start testing my water more frequently due to a loss of a Alveopora, Anchor coral and a Candy Cane.

I dont think this test kit is any good. Are there any better ones out there?

And are there any specific things i should test for besides PH, Amonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Alkalinity.
I have a Hagen Calcium test kit that works pretty well but i dont like to have to add drop by drop and then multiply each drop by 20 to get results. Seems like there should be a simpler way.

I was Also Talked into buying a dKH buffer. Bad Purchase?

any Suggestions?

For Sale: Brand New Filstar XP3. In Box w/extra Media. $80 obo shipped.
ace1uno_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Most folks will say salifert is one of the best for test kits..

As far as dkh buffering, I dunno? was it a bad purchase? Do you have problems
with a stable ph?

The loss of corals could be due to any number of reasons.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Best one i have ever used and the one my LFS swears by is made by Aquarium Systems a subdivision of Instant Ocean. Its a powder test that comes with test packets and plastic container to test in. Instead of a flimsy little card with bland colors on it, it actually has a color chip that slides into the test container next to the chamber that holds the water. Very easy to read and colors are very distinguishable. They cost a little more than others, but they are the best IMO and when you run out of test packets you can by refills instead of buying a whole new test kit.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Salifert here. I just believe that test kits are one of those things that you shouldn't skimp on in this hobby (especially if you have inverts/corals)
Dr.Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Never liked the Red Sea test kit personally. I mostly use the Reef Master Liquid Test Kit with great results. I have used a couple of the Salifert tests as well but the $15+ per test is kind of pricey and the results have always been in line with AP for me.

Since ca goes hand in hand with alk the buffer is necessary if your alk/ph is low.

I haven't seen a ca test yet that didn't require the drop by drop method. My ca always is around 380-420 so I cheat and add 17 drops first and then go drop by drop (I get the same results).

As for what to test for (in a reef tank) the only other thing I'd recommend is a po4 test.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I agree with tecwzrd! AP works for me. I've got a few salifert kits too and they seem to read exactly the same as the AP. I agree with the po4 aslo!!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I agree with tecwzrd with po4,and would also think about a magnesium test.

If that is low (700) it will be hard to maintain proper ca2. NSW has about 1300,which is what you should shoot for.

P.S. this is only something I read,I do not speak from experience.I don't even have the magnesium test yet.(only because I don't have anything in my tank that requires me to worry about it yet)Although I do have the Reef Master Test Kit

I am only 3 months into reefing,but reading alot.

RHINO13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I know I`m in the minority but I like the red sea test kit. It`s all I`ve ever used. Little bit hard to read sometimes but other than that I`ve had little problems.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
I wouldn't want to be different, so I'll chime in and say AP test kits are pretty much all I use also. And like others, I have a few Salifert kits for those times when I question my AP tests. I've never found them off by too much though. AP tests I have are Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH, Alk, and Ca. I have Salifert tests for Ca, Phoshpates, and Mg. I also have a Hagen test kit for Phosphates, which in my opinion is kind of useless unless you have very high amounts in your tank as the sensitivity is too low. (It was the first phosphate kit I bought.)

Also agree with tecwizard... don't think you're going to find any Ca tests that don't use titration (drop by drop). Personally, I immediately add 15 drops and shake - that's 300ppm. I then go drop by drop, counting "20, 40, 60, etc..." until I get the color change. No math required!

Good move doing your own testing. With the amount of time and money I have invested in my tank, I can't imagine leaving something as important as water testing up to anyone else but me.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
I can't imagine leaving something as important as water testing up to anyone else but me.
I agree! I only have the LFS test my water, if I think my tests are not working.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

hose, sting, testing, water testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com